Report: Antonio Conte has told Matt Doherty he can leave Tottenham now
The Republic of Ireland international joined Spurs from Wolverhampton Wanderers two years ago for £14.7 million (Guardian). He has played 54 times for Tottenham since joining them, but things haven’t always been easy for the now-30-year-old defender.
Following Emerson Royal’s arrival from Barcelona last summer, Doherty dropped down the pecking order. He didn’t start a single Premier League game before the turn of the year, and many felt he would be sold in the January transfer window.
However, he stayed put and broke into Conte’s side midway through the second half of the campaign. He showed everyone what he’s all about and was even branded as ‘tremendous‘ at one point. However, that may not be enough to save his Spurs career.
- Declan Rice and Matt Doherty both send messages on Instagram after Celtic win Scottish Premiership title
Matt Doherty told he can leave Tottenham
Tottenham have had a fantastic summer transfer window so far.
They’ve brought in Ivan Perisic, Fraser Forster, Yves Bissouma and Richarlison already, while Clement Lenglet is now reportedly on his way as well.
Djed Spence is the other player Tottenham are working on, and negotiations are ongoing. Many believe Spurs will end up signing the Boro defender, which would push Doherty even further down the pecking order.
As a result, Tottenham have reportedly told the Irishman that he can leave this club this summer as Conte clearly has no reason to keep him around anymore.
It really is a shame that things haven’t worked out for Doherty at Tottenham.
When Jose Mourinho brought him in two years ago, it seemed like he was the perfect player for the Portuguese tactician’s system, but he never quite found the form that he showed back when he was at Wolves.
With Djed Spence potentially coming in, Doherty will not get many opportunities even if he stays at the club.
That makes a move away the best thing for all parties involved, and we really do expect the 30-year-old to find a new club before the window shuts.
- Report: Tottenham could still sell ‘tremendous’ international, even though Conte says he’s got so much better
You may also like…
- ‘Gutted for him’: Ally McCoist devastated for 29-year-old Spurs player after what happened in Manchester derby yesterday
- Aaron Ramsdale reacts to William Saliba’s start to the season
- BBC pundit makes big Illan Meslier claim after Leeds draw with Aston Villa
- ‘There’s an example’: Gary Neville claims Trent can learn everything he needs from another current Liverpool star