Report: Newcastle now working on deal which will smash club-record signing, he's the new Faustino Asprilla
According to a report from Gazetta dello Sport in Italy, Newcastle United are now working on a deal to sign Napoli striker Victor Osimhen.
The Magpies are desperate for new signings ahead of the end of this month’s transfer window. Eddie Howe and co are working really hard to get a few new faces in, but it’s easier said than done.
Newcastle need a goalscorer who will fire them to safety this season. Chris Wood is a good striker, but he isn’t going to score 15 goals from now until the end of the campaign.
As a result, the Magpies are looking for options abroad and Osimhen has emerged as a target.
- Report: PIF will now make fresh bid for ‘incredible’ PL player who’s said he dreams of playing for Newcastle
Napoli want over £58m from Newcastle for Osimhen
The report claims that after Newcastle failed in their pursuit of Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic, the Magpies have turned their attention to Osimhen, who has been incredible over the last three years.
The Nigerian, since the start of the 2019/20 campaign, has been directly involved in 48 goals in all competitions. That is an incredible record for someone so young, and it’s only a matter of time before he leaves Naples.
The report has revealed that Napoli won’t stand in his way either. Osimhen will be sold if an offer in excess of £58.4 million arrives. That would smash Newcastle’s current transfer record, but the Toon, thanks to their new owners, should be able to afford that fee without any real trouble.
- Report: Newcastle now aiming to sign £296,000-a-week star, Alan Shearer has called him a total ‘genius’
The new Faustino Asprilla?
Most Newcastle fans still fondly remember Faustino ‘Tino’ Asprilla. The Colombian only spent a couple of seasons at Newcastle, but he was a joy to watch, and Osimhen is apparently just like him.
Former Juventus boss Marcello Lippi raved about the new Newcastle target back in November last year and if his words are anything to go by, the Magpies will love Osimhen.
Lippi said, as per Africa Top Sports: “They (Napoli) have two excellent goalkeepers (Ospina and Meret), Koulibaly, who is one of the strongest defenders in the world, the precious Anguissa in the middle of the field and in front of a striker like Osimhen who does a bit of everything.”
“The Nigerian striker is incredible: he presses, attacks the spaces, dominates in the aerial game, and scores in different ways. He is one of the best strikers to arrive in Serie A lately and on a physical level, he reminds me of Asprilla.”
- Report: Newcastle register interest in ‘fantastic’ 27-year-old PL rival once broke club-record to sign
You may also like…
- ‘I won’t be’: ‘Legendary’ manager suggests he’s not going to be taking the Tottenham job now
- ‘All day long’: Kevin Campbell says ‘fast’ player would be better than Jude Bellingham for Arsenal
- Director suggests manager is heading to a PL club, there’s claims Tottenham want him
- ‘Exceptional’ Tottenham target decides he doesn’t want to leave this summer