Report: Conte would be interested in doing exactly what Mourinho did just 15 days after Tottenham sacked him
According to The Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte would be interested in replacing Jose Mourinho at AS Roma if that job becomes available this summer.
Mourinho spent 17 months at the helm at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. He was brought in after Mauricio Pochettino was sacked by Daniel Levy and the Special One‘s target, as it is for every manager at the club, was to end their trophy drought.
Sadly for Spurs fans, Mourinho couldn’t do that. He led Tottenham to the Carabao Cup final, but Levy, for whatever reason, decided to sack him just a few days before the big game at Wembley.
Mourinho, however, wasn’t out of the game for very long. He was offered the AS Roma job just 15 days after his sacking, and he agreed to take charge of the Serie A side from the start of this season.
- Report: Tottenham now want to sign £11m Leeds star after Andrea Pirlo tells Paratici that he’s brilliant
Replacing Jose Mourinho at Roma would appeal to Tottenham boss Antonio Conte
Mourinho’s return to the Serie A seemed perfect for him. He knows the league very well, his style of play isn’t really an issue in Italy and in a league that isn’t as competitive as the Premier League, everyone expected him to succeed.
However, Roma currently sit sixth in the table, 15 points behind league leaders AC Milan and eight behind fourth-place Juventus. It’s unlikely that they’ll break into the Champions League places, which could put Mourinho’s job in danger.
The report claims that if the Special One faces the sack, Conte would be interested in leaving Tottenham to take charge of the Italian capital club this summer.
It has been claimed that the challenge of helping Roma win their first league title in over two decades, the fervour of the club’s fans and the new owners’ ambition would all appeal to the current Spurs boss.
The speculation around Conte’s future since the end of the January transfer window has been massive.
The Italian has not just been linked with a move away from Tottenham, but his comments at times have convinced many people that he just doesn’t want to be there anymore.
Tottenham are still very much in the race to finish in the top four and Conte will do everything he possibly can to get there.
However, if Spurs fail to do so, it will be interesting to see if Conte will decide to walk away, especially if Mourinho faces the sack at Roma and that job becomes available.
- ‘I think it’s possible’: Journalist shares who he thinks Spurs are more likely to re-sign – Bale or Eriksen
You may also like…
- Report: Everton have now approached ‘sensational’ player who Newcastle made contact with this weekend
- Report: Mo Salah has blown Klopp away at Liverpool recently for his behaviour towards ‘outstanding’ player
- Report: Tottenham and Everton have both added £12m speedster to their list of attacking targets
- ‘You know what to do’: Ryan Sessegnon appears to publicly encourage £20m star to join Spurs