'Not even an option': Romano says there's 'no way' Newcastle will sign 'excellent' player this month
Newcastle United mean business in this month’s transfer window and the Magpies have been linked with a whole host of players, including Everton star Lucas Digne.
The Frenchman has fallen out with his boss Rafa Benitez at Goodison Park. It’s clear for everyone to see that he wants out, and Newcastle, to many people’s surprise, emerged as the favourites to sign him.
The Frenchman, who has been one of the best left-backs in the Premier League since he joined the Toffees, would be an incredible signing for most teams in the country.
Newcastle could really do with a player of his quality this month, but transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has some bad news for Magpies fans.
Fabrizio Romano: There’s no way Lucas Digne will join Newcastle United
Just when Newcastle fans were getting excited about the prospect of seeing Digne in the black and white, Romano dropped some information that has upset a few Toon fans.
The journalist confirmed that Digne is looking for a new club and that he will likely remain in the Premier League, but he categorically ruled out a move to Newcastle United this month.
He said: “Lucas Digne will decide his next club soon. He’ll leave Everton with Premier League move likely – but he’s not going to Newcastle despite rumours.
“Not even an option. No way.”
- ‘Better than Botman’, ‘please god’: Some Newcastle fans buzzing after hearing which defender PIF’s targeting now
It really is a shame that a player of Digne’s quality will turn down a chance to join Newcastle. Labelled as an ‘excellent full-back‘ by Gary Lineker, the Frenchman could’ve been the Magpies’ first statement signing, but sadly, it doesn’t look like it will happen.
Newcastle can’t just sit around and sulk now. They have to move on and even though a new left-back would make them stronger, they have other priorities.
It will be interesting to see what Newcastle will do in the coming weeks. One thing’s for sure, they aren’t sitting back and waiting for deals to come to them. They’re going out and making things happen and that can only be a good thing.
- Report: Newcastle lock horns with Bayern over Sergio Ramos 2.0, PIF have the funds to tempt him to SJP
You may also like…
- Report: Newcastle will have to make 30-year-old their second most expensive signing ever if they’re to get him to SJP
- Arsenal would love to sign ‘fantastic’ £60m PL talisman – journalist
- Bellerin issues his verdict on form of Tomiyasu since Arsenal move
- Crook says Newcastle have now agreed personal terms with 27-year-old