Read the latest 2022 Qatar World Cup news here.

‘This is why’: ‘Incredible’ player was ready to undergo medical at Newcastle United, club changed their mind - Romano
Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

‘This is why’: ‘Incredible’ player was ready to undergo medical at Newcastle United, club changed their mind - Romano

Football journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Watford striker Joao Pedro was ready to undergo a medical at Newcastle United this summer, but the club changed their mind. 

The ‘incredible’ Pedro looked set to seal a move to Newcastle this summer but the club eventually opted for Alexander Isak instead. 

Eddie Howe was on the lookout for attacking reinforcements during the window and Romano said the Magpies had struck an agreement with Watford for Pedro last month

And now the transfer insider has shared the reason why the Brazilian striker did not complete the switch. 

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images

Pedro was ready to undergo Newcastle medical 

Speaking to Chronicle Live, Romano says the agreement between Watford and Newcastle was ‘100%’ done

Romano said: “From what I know, the Joao Pedro deal between Newcastle and Watford was 100% agreed on that Monday. There was a verbal agreement and everything was fine.

“Joao Pedro was already planning for a medical, he received a communication for a medical in London in the following days. It would have been the first part of the medical, with the second part in Newcastle.

“Everything was ready, they had an agreement for £25 million plus £5m in add-ons. There was also an agreement on the sell-on clause, so everything was ready and verbally agreed.

“There was a meeting with Gino Pozzo, the player’s agent and intermediaries involved. Everything was ready and the only thing they were waiting for was the final approval from Newcastle to sign the documents. This is why I said here we go because it was absolutely agreed, and I’m 100% sure of what I’m saying.”

Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

But it seems that Real Sociedad were aware of the situation and alerted Howe’s men about the availability of Isak. 

Romano added: “The main target for Newcastle for a long time was Alexander Isak and he was not available for more than two months. Newcastle had been following him since March or April time, and Real Sociedad always said no.

“But after that they changed their position, they knew about the Joao Pedro deal and decided to change their position on Isak to make him available. Newcastle decided to go for their priority target and to keep the Joao Pedro situation open for two or three days, so they were still discussing with the agents and with Watford. But at the end, they decided on Isak and the deal collapsed.”

The transfer expert added there will be ‘many other clubs’ interested in Pedro in the future but didn’t rule out a future move to Newcastle. 

Newcastle fans won’t be too disappointed about going for Isak over Pedro as the Swedish striker has got off to an impressive start at St James’ Park. 

Pedro is undoubtedly a player with a big future ahead of him but Isak has slotted in seamlessly in Howe’s side.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

You may also like…