Report: Club say yes to Newcastle's big offer for their 24-year-old who could become just like De Bruyne
Newcastle United shocked the world yesterday after reports revealed that they’ve lodged a bid to sign Olympique Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.
The Guardian claimed yesterday that the Magpies have tabled a £33.5 million bid for the Brazilian midfielder, who has been linked with moves to Arsenal and Juventus as well.
Guimaraes is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders in Ligue 1 at the moment. He has been fantastic since he joined Lyon and everyone expected him to join a top European club next.
However, Newcastle could well be his next destination now.
- Report: Newcastle aren’t just trying to sign Lingard, Howe wants his ‘absolutely brilliant’ compatriot too
Lyon accept Newcastle United’s offer for Bruno Guimaraes
According to Globo Esporte in Brazil, Lyon has given Newcastle United the green light to sign Guimaraes in the coming days. The French outfit are happy with the offer tabled by the Magpies and they have given them permission to negotiate personal terms with the player.
That, however, is the tricky part for the Toon.
The report claims that an agreement with the midfielder is still missing. Newcastle will surely give him an improved contract with a much bigger salary, but the player is yet to respond.
However, the report claims that an answer from Guimaraes is expected imminently.
- Report: Newcastle have made ‘big pitch’ to try and get ‘sensational’ player to SJP, but he’s still turned them down
Everybody expected Newcastle to try and make a statement in January. However, nobody quite believed they will be able to attract top players when they’re also wanted by other clubs.
Guimaraes hasn’t said yes just yet, but if Eddie Howe convinces him, he could well prove to be the signing of the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old is exactly what Newcastle need. He is excellent on the ball, is very good at progressing the play and his positional discipline is arguably better than any midfielder at Tyneside at the moment. Brazil coach Tite even believes he could be as good as Kevin De Bruyne. (France Football)
Guimaraes would certainly be an unbelievable signing and Howe should do everything he possibly can to get this deal over the line.
You may also like…
- Report: Club now getting ready to sell their ‘prolific’ striker, with Newcastle preparing £25m bid for him
- ‘I’m still unsure’: Carragher says 25-year-old Spurs player will break into Conte’s starting team this season
- ‘He didn’t play well’: Jurgen Klopp admits £29m Liverpool player was not very good against Fulham last weekend
- ‘Disrespect’: Mason Mount says what happened to £30m Arsenal player on FIFA is an absolute ‘disgrace’