'I'm grateful': Manager bids farewell to 'very important' player who's about to join Newcastle
Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has all but confirmed that Kieran Trippier is on his way to Newcastle United.
The Englishman has been heavily linked with a move to Tyneside ever since PIF took over the club. He wants to return to the Premier League and it looks like Howe has got his man.
Social media is filled with pictures of Trippier arriving in England as he nears his move. Simeone has bid farewell to his star right-back as well, who was a ‘very important’ player for him in the Spanish capital.
Here’s what the Atleti boss said about Trippier’s imminent move to Newcastle.
- ‘Not even an option’: Romano says there’s ‘no way’ Newcastle will sign ‘excellent’ player this month
Diego Simeone bids farewell to Newcastle-bound Trippier
The Argentine said, as per The Chronicle: “I always look at the positive things.
“I am absolutely grateful to all the time that Kieran has been here with us. The club has given him 48 hours to resolve the situation.
“He has behaved very well, he has worked very well, he has been a very important footballer for us.
“And now for us, it is to always look ahead. To what is coming. And look for alternatives, as always, so that things work.”
Was a right-back a priority for Newcastle United in this window? No! However, if a player of Trippier’s quality and experience becomes available during a relegation battle, you can’t really turn him down.
One of the Englishman’s biggest criticisms during his time at Tottenham was his defending. Under Simeone, he has improved that area of his game immensely, and he’s now a more complete player.
Newcastle fans are hoping that a deal can be announced at some point today. It is only a matter of time before it’s official, and it will be interesting to see how much of an impact he will have in the coming months.
You may also like…
- Title-holders eye Arsenal raid to sign star Gilberto Silva called ‘fantastic’
- Pundit thinks Klopp would turn £113m man into ‘one of the best in the world’ if he joins Liverpool
- ‘Klopp doesn’t care’: Pundit reacts to what happened right after the Liverpool game last night
- ‘I don’t like’: Simeone names one thing he’ll not do with Klopp after Liverpool v Atletico Madrid