'I spoke to him': Rio Ferdinand says 'absolutely top' Liverpool player actually wanted to join Man United
Rio Ferdinand has revealed that Liverpool star Thiago Alcantara wanted to join Manchester United before he completed his move to Anfield.
The Spaniard has been the talk of the town over recent weeks. He was absolutely incredible against Manchester United and his performance against Everton in the derby was really impressive as well.
Things have not always been so good for Thiago in a Liverpool shirt. Injuries really hurt him last season, but he’s showing everyone why he has been regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world for years now.
Liverpool sure are glad to have him, but if Ferdinand is to be believed, the Spaniard could’ve easily been a Manchester United player now.
Rio Ferdinand: Thiago Alcantara wanted to join Man United before moving to Liverpool
“You look at his stats? Thiago’s pass accuracy by the way in the last two games against Everton and Man Utd (was) 98.4 per cent against Everton and 95.6 per cent against Everton. That is ridiculous.
“I spoke to him at the time. He speaks perfect English, he was a great guy, wanted to come to United.
“But, you look at him now, and he couldn’t be happier.”
- Report: Even Paul Scholes stood up and applauded Liverpool star Thiago’s display vs Manchester United last night
Thiago would improve any side in world football and Manchester United are no different. The Red Devils are in desperate need of a world-class central midfielder and the Spaniard would’ve been perfect. Just imagine the Liverpool man feeding Cristiano Ronaldo five times every game!
Thankfully for Liverpool fans, Jurgen Klopp managed to get him from Bayern Munich for what now looks like a bargain fee.
Liverpool take on Villarreal in the semi-final of the Champions League later tonight and Thiago will be key again. His vision and passing will be hugely important against Unai Emery’s well-drilled, positionally disciplined side, who will likely set up a low block.
The Yellow Submarine have already knocked out Bayern Munich and Juventus this season, so they cannot be taken lightly. But, Liverpool are the absolute favourites to go through and if Thiago has a good game, the Reds should come away with a hugely positive result tonight.
- ‘Someone get close to him’: Rio Ferdinand left dismayed by Liverpool’s Thiago, who took liberties vs Man United
You may also like…
- Report: Leeds set sights on £21m wizard with ‘silky creative swagger’ who’s been likened to Neymar
- ‘In these last few hours’: Italian journalist has just shared transfer update on Bastoni amid Spurs links
- Report: Liverpool could ‘try their luck again’ to get ‘extraordinary’ player to Anfield after CL final tonight
- ‘Unless it’s big, big money’: Journalist claims Leeds will play hardball over ‘unbelievable’ 25-year-old