'Did it publicly': Mikel Arteta says 'fantastic' Arsenal player did something 'really rare'
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has heaped praise on Thomas Partey for the honesty that he showed in an interview a few months ago.
The Ghanaian joined the Gunners from Atletico Madrid on transfer deadline day in 2020 and a lot was expected of him. Many even viewed him as the new Patrick Vieira, but Partey has had his fair share of problems in North London.
The now 28-year-old has missed over 20 games for Arsenal due to injury. That cost him the consistency he was looking for and Gunners fans didn’t really get to see the best of him in his first 14 months at the club.
Partey, himself, gave his Arsenal career an underwhelming 4/10 rating in an interview in December. He has been a different player since.
- ‘The best I’ve seen in my career’: President blown away by Arsenal loanee who has never played under Arteta
Arteta on Thomas Partey rating himself 4/10: It was a rare thing to do
The Arsenal boss faced the media yesterday at London Colney and he was asked about how good Partey has been since he gave himself a 4/10 rating.
Arteta said, as per Arsenal.com: “I think when you are honest with yourself it’s a great starting point and when you assess yourself in the way that Thomas did publicly, it’s a really rare thing to do.
“He did it because he believed that was the case, that he wants to give much more to the team and to the club and probably that something has clicked again.
“Probably the fact that he’s been injury-free, it’s a massive thing in there, but as well, he’s probably more fit because he’s doing things better.”
- ‘Can get a prize’: Arteta says Arsenal 23-year-old has been so good that he deserves an individual award this season
Partey, labelled as ‘fantastic’ by Arteta, has been absolutely incredible for Arsenal since the turn of the year. Apart from the silly red card he picked up against Liverpool in the cup, he has barely put a foot wrong.
That is one of the biggest reasons why Arsenal have looked so good recently. The Ghanaian’s partnership with Granit Xhaka is working brilliantly and the fact that he has been asked to play a little deeper seems to have helped as well.
Arsenal fans and Arteta will be hoping that Partey can continue his good form until the end of the season. If he does, the Gunners’ chances of finishing in the top four will increase considerably.
You may also like…
- ‘You can see the attitude that he has’: Arteta wowed by £75k-a-week Arsenal player this week
- Mikel Arteta says Arsenal star Bukayo Saka is ‘one of the most intelligent players’ he’s ever seen
- Report: Brooke Norton-Cuffy plays as a centre-back in Arsenal training ahead of Bournemouth clash
- Report: Arsenal player’s camp has spoken to Barcelona chief; he has ‘no problem’ taking pay cut to join