Report: Newcastle still really want to sign ‘absolutely insane’ PL player this month, he may only cost £15m
According to iNews, Liverpool defender Nat Phillips is still a top target for Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe in this month’s transfer window.
It is no secret at this point that the Magpies are looking for a new central defender.
Newcastle did everything they could to sign Sven Botman from Lille, but that deal proved impossible in this window. Benoit Badiashile is another one they’re looking at, but he’s currently injured, while Sevilla star Diego Carlos is reportedly next on the list and talks are ongoing.
All the focus is on quality defenders abroad at the moment, but Howe hasn’t completely ignored what’s available in the Premier League.
- Report: PIF ready to double the wages of ‘dynamic, intense’ player in attempt to bring him to Newcastle
Newcastle can sign Nat Phillips for £15m
Phillips has been linked with a whole host of clubs since the window opened two weeks ago. It’s looking very likely that he will leave Anfield before the end of this month and Jurgen Klopp has no plans of stopping him either.
Labelled as an ‘absolutely insane‘ defender by the Liverpool boss himself, Phillips is a decent shout for many clubs in the Premier League. West Ham United have been linked with a move for him as well, but Newcastle could be a great side for the 24-year-old.
Howe is desperate for a new defender and Phillips, who is reportedly one of his top targets still, will be available for just £15 million in this month’s transfer window.
Should the Magpies sign Phillips?
Considering how much Newcastle are pushing to sign a foreign centre-half, Howe may just be looking to bring in two defenders before the window shuts in 17 days time.
Botman is out of the picture, but one of Carlos or Badiashile alongside Phillips, a player who has the experience of playing in the Premier League, could really change the Magpies’ fortunes.
It really will be interesting to see who Howe and co will sign in the next two weeks. Phillips would definitely be a great signing and at just £15 million, he’s almost a no-risk option for the new Toon owners.
- Report: Newcastle want 24-year-old West Ham target after Botman and Bremer bids; but told he’ll cost £37.5m
You may also like…
- Son Heung-min now shares his thoughts on Arnaut Danjuma’s Tottenham debut last night
- Tottenham transfer news: Spurs make formal offer for Piero Hincapie
- West Ham transfer news: Michael Keane being closely watched ahead of January deadline
- Sky Sports journalist shares update on Tottenham’s interest in Jordan Pickford