Report: Conte now tells Tottenham to take close look at 26-year-old star who's been voted better than Mbappe
According to a report from French outlet Jeunes Footeux, Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing RC Lens duo Seko Fofana and Cheick Doucoure this summer.
Antonio Conte has changed Spurs’ fortunes in recent weeks. After the meltdown following the defeat to Burnley, many felt it was only a matter of time before the Italian would walk away from the club.
However, Conte stayed put and has turned things around. Tottenham are now the favourites to qualify for the Champions League next season, which would be a remarkable achievement considering where they were just a few months ago.
The summer transfer window will be an important one for Spurs and if a report is to be believed, Conte wants two players from the same club.
- Report: £65m player actually prefers a move to Arsenal or Tottenham – even though Guardiola wants him
Tottenham scout Lens duo Seko Fofana and Cheick Doucoure
Tottenham let Giovani Lo Celso, Tanguy Ndombele and Dele Alli leave the club in January and there’s a chance that Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg will walk away in the summer as well with Jose Mourinho’s AS Roma reportedly keen.
That would make Spurs short of options in the middle of the park and that’s probably why Conte is looking to bring in not just one, but two central midfielders in the upcoming summer transfer window.
The report claims that a scout from Conte’s Tottenham Hotspur was present at the Estadio Bollaert-Delelis to watch Fofana and Doucoure in action for Lens as they beat Nice 3-0 in an eventful game.
Both players impressed in the game and it has been claimed that Spurs now strongly appreciate the duo, who are being watched by Conte’s scouts with a view of a move in the summer transfer window.
- ‘One of the greatest signings in modern history’: Richards makes claim about player Tottenham sold in 2017
Fofana won the best player in France award ahead of Neymar and Mbappe
There wasn’t a better player in the French top-flight in 2021 than Seko Fofana, not even Neymar or Kylian Mbappe or any other PSG superstar.
That’s according to GFFN, who named the 26-year-old midfielder as the winner of their 100 best players in France list.
Fofana has gone from strength to strength since the start of last year and he has stepped up in multiple big games for Lens, including ones against PSG, where he held his own against the best players in the country.
The midfielder has been linked with a move to the multiple clubs in Premier League for a while now, but if Tottenham really want him, they should be able to get him this summer.
- ‘Going to leave’: Manager thinks his ‘outstanding’ player will depart for free; Tottenham are ‘favourites’ to sign him
You may also like…
- Real Madrid battling Barcelona for former Spurs player Juan Foyth
- Arsenal get glowing reports about West Ham star Declan Rice
- “It was granted’: Striker says he had a work permit with Liverpool before signing for Bundesliga club
- ‘Apparently’: Journalist shares what he’s heard about Arsenal’s kit next season