Report claims Arsenal are now trying to sign 'brilliant' Tottenham player, with Paratici open to selling him
According to a bizarre report from CalcioMercato, Arsenal are interested in signing Steven Bergwijn from their fierce North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur.
Yep, you read that right. It really does say that the Gunners are eyeing a move for a Spurs player.
The same outlet reported a few days ago that Bergwijn’s time at Tottenham is coming to an end. The 24-year-old is a talented player but a return of just three goals in 23 appearances is not a good look at all.
It was claimed that Fabio Paratici, Antonio Conte and Daniel Levy are open to selling him, but is a move to Arsenal really an option?
- ‘A lot of space for improvement’: Antonio Conte suggests one Tottenham player’s passing really needs to get better
Bizarre report claims Arsenal want to sign Bergwijn from Tottenham
Arsenal definitely have a lot of work to do in the summer transfer window.
Barring a late collapse, it is looking likely that they will finish in the top-four this season and they’ll need a lot of help to maintain a good level in the Champions League next term, if they get there.
New signings in the summer transfer window are a necessity for Mikel Arteta’s side but a move for Bergwijn makes no sense whatsoever, even if Spurs are willing to strike a deal with their rivals from down the road.
AC Milan is the other club credited with an interest in the Dutch attacker, who was branded as ‘brilliant‘ by Danny Murphy earlier this season.
- Report: Arsenal offer Barcelona star £100k-a-week contract to come and join them, has £167m release clause
Not going to happen
Football is a funny game and anything is possible, but the chances of Tottenham Hotspur selling a player to Arsenal is as close to zero as anything can ever get.
Spurs fans are still furious about Sol Campbell making the switch from White Hart Lane to Highbury all those years ago, while Arsenal supporters aren’t pleased about the fact that the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor and William Gallas chose to represent Tottenham after leaving the Emirates.
We just cannot imagine Arsenal signing Bergwijn in the summer, unless it’s on FIFA 22 or Football Manager.
- ‘I think that’: Antonio Conte and Jamie Carragher say the same thing about Arsenal’s top-four chances
You may also like…
- Report: ‘Exceptional’ player is now one step closer to leaving Arsenal, his agent’s coming to London this week
- Lucas Torreira posts just two words on Instagram after his Arsenal exit is confirmed
- Arsenal have held talks with AC Milan about signing Sandro Tonali – journalist
- ‘Far more good than bad’: Rio Ferdinand loves one Arsenal player and thinks Arteta will use him all season long