Report: Arsenal offer Barcelona star £100k-a-week contract to come and join them, has £167m release clause
Spanish journalist Gerard Romero revealed on his Twitch channel yesterday that Arsenal and Manchester United have made a contract offer to Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo about a summer move.
The Gunners are on a roll in the Premier League at the moment. Mikel Arteta’s men have lost just one game since the turn of the year and that was an unlucky defeat to defending champions Manchester City on New Year’s Day.
Arsenal are currently fourth in the table and are the favourites to finish there. They are a point above Manchester United with three games in hand over them and are six points clear of Tottenham and have a game in hand over Antonio Conte’s side as well.
It really does look like the Gunners will return to the Champions League next season and they will need to strengthen their squad considerably if they get there.
- ‘I think that’: Antonio Conte and Jamie Carragher say the same thing about Arsenal’s top-four chances
Arsenal have offered a lucrative contract to Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo
Romero revealed on his Twitch stream last night that both Manchester United and Arsenal have made a contract offer to Araujo, who has been brilliant for Barcelona.
The Uruguayan, still only 23, is arguably Barca’s best defender and the Catalans would love nothing more than to keep him. However, he has entered the final 18 months of his contract and the two English clubs are looking to take advantage of the situation.
Romero revealed that the Red Devils have offered Araujo a net salary of £6.7 million a year if he agrees to join them. Arsenal, on the other hand, have offered a little over £5 million a year, which is about £100,000-a-week.
- ‘Fast’: International defender says he asked ‘fabulous’ Arsenal loanee to ‘take it easy’ on him last weekend
Araujo is already one of the best defenders in La Liga. He has been absolutely brilliant for Barcelona since becoming a regular and the Catalans will do everything they possibly can to keep hold of him.
However, Xavi’s side have been struggling financially for a while now and they will find it difficult to match what Arsenal and Manchester United are reportedly offering the Uruguayan.
Labelled as a ‘powerful’ defender who is ‘physically strong, fast and has good ball control’ by Gerard Pique, the youngster has caught Rio Ferdinand’s eye too.
Just a day before Gerard Romero broke the news about Arsenal and Manchester United’s interest in Araujo, Ferdinand named the Uruguayan as the defender he’d sign for Manchester United in the summer. (Vibe with FIVE)
- ‘As good as Riyad Mahrez’: Arsenal told they made massive transfer error by snubbing ‘excellent’ £60m player
You may also like…
- Report: ‘Exceptional’ player is now one step closer to leaving Arsenal, his agent’s coming to London this week
- Lucas Torreira posts just two words on Instagram after his Arsenal exit is confirmed
- Arsenal have held talks with AC Milan about signing Sandro Tonali – journalist
- ‘Far more good than bad’: Rio Ferdinand loves one Arsenal player and thinks Arteta will use him all season long