Report: After missing out on Ndombele, Mourinho now wants to sign another 'phenomenal' Tottenham player
According to a report from Italian outlet Il Romanista, AS Roma boss Jose Mourinho is eyeing a move for a player he signed at Tottenham – Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.
The Dane left Southampton for Spurs in August 2020. Mourinho made him one of his top targets in that window and Hojbjerg was absolutely incredible for Tottenham under the Portuguese tactician.
Spurs, now under Antonio Conte, are trying to build something special. Hojbjerg is still a regular having played 31 times in all competitions already this season, but with the arrival of Rodrigo Bentancur and Oliver Skipp getting better and better, the Dane may soon drop out of the starting eleven.
Mourinho is hoping for just that and he wants to sign him for Roma in the summer.
- Report: Manager could take over at PL club and try to sign ‘brilliant’ player from Tottenham this summer
Jose Mourinho wants to sign Tottenham star Hojbjerg
One of Mourinho’s priorities in the summer transfer window is to sign a new central midfielder for Roma. He has wanted a top-quality player there since before the start of this season, but no move materialised.
However, he is now desperate to bring in a new man in the middle of the park and he has five names on his wish list.
The report claims that along with Hojbjerg, Mourinho’s shortlist includes Arsenal star Granit Xhaka, Aston Villa’s Douglas Luiz, Chelsea star Jorginho and Lille’s Portuguese midfielder Renato Sanches.
Hojbjerg, still only 26, could well be on top of Mourinho’s wish list, especially as the Roma boss has already labelled the Dane as a ‘phenomenal player‘.
- Spurs reportedly working on signing £69k-a-week ace who’s like ‘prime Essien’, fans should be buzzing – TBR View
The Special One wanted Ndombele too
Hojbjerg isn’t the first Tottenham player Mourinho has wanted at Roma, the Special One reportedly tried to sign Tanguy Ndombele in the January transfer window.
The Frenchman’s problems with the ex-Spurs boss were well documented during their time together, but Italian outlet CalcioMercato claimed last month that Mourinho seriously tried to get him on loan until the end of the season.
The Roma manager missed out on Ndombele and he ended up returning to Lyon on loan. However, it will be interesting to see what Conte and Daniel Levy will do if Mourinho comes in with an offer for Hojbjerg in the summer.
You may also like…
- What Tottenham officials are planning to tell Ange Postecoglou during talks in next few days
- £12m Newcastle player won’t be sold this summer, he could have gone in January
- Player Spurs sold in 2021 now scores last-minute goal to win league title for his side
- Report: Aston Villa have joined race to sign ‘incredible’ £21.5m World Cup star in last few days