'Pretty much all agreed': Arsenal are now on the verge of signing 'remarkable' 27-year-old, journalist says
Football London’s Chris Wheatley has revealed that Arsenal have agreed personal terms with New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner ahead of a potential move.
The Gunners are now on the market looking for a new goalkeeper after reports revealed that Bernd Leno could leave the club this month.
The German international lost his place to Aaron Ramsdale after just three games this season and it doesn’t look like he’ll get it back. As a result, he wants to move on before the window shuts to boost his chances of making it to the World Cup in Qatar at the end of this year.
Arsenal are set to grant Leno his wish and Turner, 27, is set to be his replacement.
Matt Turner is on the verge of joining Arsenal
Asked about the goalkeeping situation at Arsenal, Wheatley said on Bhavss14′ YouTube channel: “Matt Turner is being the subject of a £5 million bid from Arsenal and he’s a player they’d like to get in this month.
“The player certainly wants to come to Arsenal.
“Bernd Leno really wants to leave to play regular first-team football.
“Turner deal is pretty much all agreed in terms of the player’s side, it’s just the two clubs that need to agree on the formalities of the deal. I expect Turner to come in.”
- ‘There’s just nothing’: Journalist delivers Arsenal transfer update that will go down like a lead balloon
Arsenal will need a new goalkeeper if Leno is allowed to leave and Turner, even though he has no experience at the top level in Europe, would not be a bad signing.
Ramsdale is going to remain the undisputed number one at Arsenal irrespective of what happens. The Englishman has been absolutely incredible since he came into the side back in September and he will only get better in the coming years.
Arsenal only need a backup who is good enough to step in whenever required. Turner, hailed as ‘remarkable‘ by his boss Bruce Arena, can be that player and if Wheatley is to be believed, he is more than ready to make the move to North London.
Edu and Arteta should be able to wrap this deal up very quickly, which would then open the door for Leno to make his way out of the club.
- Report: Arsenal could leave ‘fantastic’ first-team player out of Dubai trip amid talk of January exit
You may also like…
- Report: Torreira to return to Arsenal after surprise Fiorentina decision
- ‘Pukki time’: Kevin Campbell has just made his final prediction on Tottenham and Arsenal’s top four battle
- Stan Collymore says gap between Conte and Arteta is huge
- ‘There could be a bit of drama’: Merson predicts whether Arsenal will beat Spurs to top-four finish