Martinelli shares how he convinced Gabriel Jesus to join Arsenal this summer
Mikel Arteta’s side were in desperate need of a new striker this summer. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was forced out of the club in February, while Alexandre Lacazette left at the end of his contract.
Arsenal still had Eddie Nketiah, and he has been in fine form over the last few months. However, the Gunners simply had to bring in a prolific goalscorer, and Jesus is the man Arteta wanted.
Martinelli has now revealed how he played a small part in making this move happen.
- ‘Going to do really well’: Ben Foster says Arsenal have made a massive signing this summer, he’s so underrated
Gabriel Martinelli shares how he convinced Gabriel Jesus to join Arsenal
Martinelli sat down for an interview with Arsenal legend Ian Wright during the Gunners’ pre-season tour.
That was released on Ringer FC’s Wrighty’s House podcast last night, and the Brazilian was asked about his involvement in convincing Jesus to sign for Arsenal.
He said: “In the national team, I was [saying] every day: ‘Gabi, you’re my teammate already, come to us, we need you.’
“Gab as well, big Gabi (Magalhaes) [was urging Jesus to join Arsenal].”
It looks like Jesus had a lot of familiar faces pushing him to sign for Arsenal.
Apart from the two Gunners players he shares his name with, Jesus was being convinced to join Arsenal by manager Arteta and technical director Edu Gaspar.
Arteta and Jesus worked together closely at Manchester City, while Edu knows the 25-year-old from his time with the Brazilian national team.
Everybody’s words convinced Jesus to make the move to the Emirates, and he is proving to be an ‘incredible‘ signing.
- ‘He’s an animal’: Gabriel Jesus already blown away by Arsenal player’s work-rate, says he ‘never gets tired’
You may also like…
- ‘They can’t get this one wrong’: Journalist drops Arsenal incoming transfer claim
- Report: Arsenal in ‘lead’ for ‘remarkable’ £33m attacker; agents braced for potential talks
- Arsenal assistant manager Steve Round thinks Gabriel Martinelli is a ‘diamond’
- Arsenal now stand great chance of signing £33m attacker who’s like ‘prime Alexis Sanchez’ – TBR View