Lacazette sends three-word Instagram message to Xhaka after Arsenal midfielder's red card
Arsenal showed incredible spirit and togetherness to come away with a 0-0 draw against Liverpool last night after Granit Xhaka got himself a red card very early in the game.
Mikel Arteta’s men went into the fixture with a lot of problems. The Gunners were without a number of their first-team stars, but Xhaka’s return from COVID-19 was viewed as a huge boost pre-game.
However, the Swiss international only lasted 24 minutes. Xhaka was the last man and had his eyes on the ball, but his kick landed on Diogo Jota, who went down in pain.
Referee Michael Oliver had no choice but to show him a red card and that made Arsenal’s job a lot more difficult than it should have been.
- ‘Different gravy’, ‘Best player on the pitch’: Some Arsenal fans blown away by star’s display vs Liverpool
Lacazette sends Instagram message to Xhaka after his red card
After Xhaka was handed his marching orders, everyone expected Liverpool to batter the visitors.
However, Arsenal defended brilliantly throughout the game and gave away just one big chance to Liverpool. That fell to Takumi Minamino’s feet, but the Japan international fired his shot over the bar.
After the game last night, Xhaka took to Instagram to apologise to Arsenal fans and teammates for putting them in a very difficult position.
Lacazette responded to his post by saying: “We are together,” which just shows the unity in the Arsenal squad at the moment. Rob Holding also echoed that message by writing: “Together”.
- Report: 25-year-old only willing to leave club for Arsenal after Arteta intervenes; talks to soon come to life
If Arteta was offered a 0-0 draw before the game, the Arsenal boss would’ve likely taken it considering the number of players who were unavailable last night.
Xhaka’s sending off only made the circumstances worse, which makes the result an even more impressive one for the Gunners.
Arsenal are very much in the tie now and they could well be the slight favourites going into the second leg next week if they get the likes of Emile Smith Rowe, Takehiro Tomiyasu and Martin Odegaard back to full fitness.
- ‘An Arteta-style player’: Sky Sports journalist thinks Arsenal could be about to sign a real ‘talent’
You may also like…
- ‘He’s one the club might turn to’: Downie claims Newcastle could swoop for ‘extraordinary’ PL player
- Report: Tottenham are now trying to sign eight-goal star who ‘was and still is an Arsenal fan’
- Report: Arsenal have now asked about ‘excellent’ £33m forward after Vlahovic snub
- 2021 Bruce signing could convince absolutely ‘incredible’ player to join Newcastle by Monday – TBR View