If transfer rumour is true, Djed Spence may already have something to be worried about at Tottenham Hotspur - TBR View
Tottenham Hotspur have been linked with a move for Roma’s Nicolo Zaniolo in recent weeks and 90 Min reports that Antonio Conte could use the Italian as a right wing-back. And if this is true, new signing Djed Spence could already have something to be worried about at Spurs.
Tottenham are currently talking to Roma over a move for Zaniolo and are pushing to sign the Italian this summer.
Spurs transfer guru Fabio Paratici apparently held talks with general manager Tiago Pinto this week and Zaniolo actually played against the North London side in Roma’s 1-0 pre-season win on Saturday.
Although the 23-year-old mainly plays as a winger or attacking midfielder, Conte could have different plans for his compatriot.
Spence may have something to worry about
Spence only completed his move from Middlesbrough last month and already has Matt Doherty and Emerson Royal to compete with.
And if reports are true, he could soon be adding Zaniolo to that list as well.
Spence didn’t feature against Roma on the weekend as Conte opted for Doherty in the wing-back position and then brought on Royal as a substitute later on in the game.
Conte has also already admitted that Spence was a player signed by the club, rather than one which he personally identified.
The addition of Zaniolo may put him further back in the pecking order as Conte could use the Italian in the same position.
But first, Spurs will have to agree a deal with Roma and 90 Min claims that the Italian club are looking for a fee of over £41 million for their player.
Conte will also have to beat off competition from his old side Juventus as they remain interested in the Roma man.
But if Conte gets his man, then Spence will have another player to compete with as he tries to force his way into Spurs’ starting eleven.
The 21-year-old did get some minutes against Rangers during pre-season as he made his debut for the club. But it seems the former Boro man will have to wait patiently for his opportunity this season, especially if Conte’s plans for Zaniolo are true.
You may also like…
- Report: West Ham now launch bid for £30m player, Jamie Carragher said he was ‘really poor’ all last season
- Report: Manchester City now want to sign 24-year-old, just weeks after Newcastle made £21m bid for him
- Report: Nottingham Forest and Everton considered Ndombele move
- ‘I’ve challenged him’: Marsch says 22-year-old Leeds United player is too quiet, he wants him to become a leader