'Done deal confirmed': Romano says Arsenal have reached 'full agreement' to complete first signing of 2022
It’s day 28 of the January transfer window and Arsenal are yet to complete a signing, but that’s about to change now as Matt Turner is set to join the Gunners soon.
Mikel Arteta’s men went into the window looking for a new goalkeeper with Bernd Leno’s future up in the air. The German lost his place in the side to Aaron Ramsdale and it doesn’t look like there’s a way back for him.
That has left Leno in a really difficult position. The 29-year-old wants to be in Germany’s squad for the World Cup in Qatar later this year. To achieve that, he has to play regularly, but that will not happen at Arsenal as things stand.
As a result, he has been linked with a move away and Arsenal will need a replacement if he leaves.
- Photo: Arteta calls up ‘extremely vocal’ 18-year-old Arsenal centre-back to first-team trip to Dubai
Fabrizio Romano: Matt Turner to Arsenal is a done deal
Arsenal have been heavily linked with Turner, who has been brilliant for New England Revolution in the MLS.
The 27-year-old American, who hasn’t played a game for a European club yet, is highly rated over in the United States and his performances over the last year seems to have caught Edu and Mikel Arteta’s eye.
It has been reported previously that Arsenal were in advanced talks to sign Turner on a permanent deal. It looks like those negotiations are now done and the American will be the Gunners’ first signing of 2022.
However, Romano has revealed that he will stay on loan at his current club until the end of this season and will only move to North London in the summer.
- Tuchel may have just crushed Arsenal’s hopes of signing £66m man who has ‘massive untapped potential’
Leno unlikely to leave now
Turner is viewed by everyone as a replacement to Leno but the fact that the American won’t be moving to the Emirates until the summer means that Arsenal will not let their German shot-stopper leave this month.
That really is a blow for Leno, who is desperate for game time. Arsenal are out of both domestic cup competitions now, which means that unless Ramsdale picks up an injury or gets suspended, there’s no way the German will get a game this season.
Leno will definitely be disappointed with that but there’s not a lot he can do, especially considering that Arsenal haven’t received any concrete offers to sell him.
The German is set to stay until the end of the season now but sadly for him, it looks like he has played his last game for the club already.
- ‘Source told us today’: Journalist says Arsenal have now rejected PL side’s bid for ‘extraordinary’ player
You may also like…
- ‘I started studying’: ‘Complete’ player says he’s now learning English, after Arsenal links
- Report: Manager will let his ‘incredible’ £51.5m star join Arsenal
- ‘The new Luis Suarez’ says he knows Spurs want to sign him, he’s already rejected Arsenal
- ‘I talked to him on the phone on Monday’: Arsenal player is feeling ‘disappointed’, says his advisor