Chris Sutton has told the Daily Mail that he would like to think that Son Heung-min will return for Tottenham Hotspur this season, but Lucas Moura is a fantastic replacement for Jose Mourinho to have up his sleeve.
Son was Spurs’ match-winner at the weekend. He scored twice in the 3-2 victory over Aston Villa. Unfortunately, the display came at a cost.
Tottenham confirmed on their official website that the forward will undergo surgery on an arm injury suffered in the game.
The club’s statement claimed that Son will miss a number of weeks. But Mourinho then suggested, in comments reported by Football London, that he fears that the South Korean could miss the rest of the campaign.
Sutton expressed his hope that Mourinho will be proven wrong. But he insisted that Spurs have a very good replacement waiting in the wings.
“It is a blow, and only the club’s doctors will know the true severity of the break, but I hope we will see Son again before the end of the season,” he told the Daily Mail.
“In the meantime, Mourinho’s main striker is out, one of his back-ups is out, so now he will have to turn to another back-up.
“But what a man he has for the job.
“Lucas Moura scored an historic hat-trick in the Champions League semi-final victory against Ajax. As far as replacements go, he is hardly a bad one.”
Lucas has played all over the attack so far this season. And he has managed to find the back of the net on seven occasions in all competitions.
He will surely need to step up that tally over the coming weeks. Son had scored six just in the five games leading up to the injury.
Spurs face RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Wednesday before taking on Chelsea in a crucial league game at the weekend.