Connect with us

Transfer Round-up

West Ham round-up: Bilic turned down two midfielders; Sakho’s back; Noble defends Hart

Published

on

West Ham

Slaven Bilic rejected two players who moved to the Premier League in the final days of the transfer window as he felt that he was happy with his squad, according to co-chairman David Sullivan, writing on the club website. Sullivan claims:

“[Renato Sanches and Grzegorz Kyrchowiak] were both offered to the manager before their switches elsewhere, but he told us that he is happy with the squad he has… Overall Slaven is happy with the business we have done during the summer transfer window,” Sullivan added. We received the manager’s wish-list before the window opened and we have managed to get the top four players on it.”

Both players were seen as coup signings for Swansea and West Brom respectively, but the statement clearly piles the pressure on Slaven Bilic. Such claims will only fuel criticism from fans about the woeful start to the season which has left West Ham bottom of the Premier League table.

Another key figure on deadline day was Diafra Sakho, who bizarrely stopped off at Chelmsford races on his way to discuss his future at the London Stadium. The London Evening Standard now say that Bilic has made it clear to Sakho that such unauthorised absences as in the final days of the window will not be tolerated.

It’s thought that Sakho is now on his last chance under the Croatian and he could face substantial fines or penalties if he does not strict to the rules implemented by the manager.

The club have struggled for goals and Sakho may help that, but more concerning has been the rate at which the Hammers have conceded. However, captain Mark Noble has spoken out to defend new signing and goalkeeper Joe Hart as he spoke to the Daily Mail to say:

“Joe has had a tough start to his West Ham career, but that’s down to the whole team. He’s England’s No 1, he’s a fantastic goalie and I think he’ll stay No 1 for a while yet to come… We probably haven’t protected him as well as we should have done in the first three games.”

Hart has not been on the end of much individual criticism, with some shoddy defending doing very little to help him as he seeks to keep his first clean sheet in a West Ham shirt. Now, he will hope to do that on his home debut against Huddersfield next Monday.

Sam is a football journalist focusing on English football at all levels and Spanish football. He also writes for Spain's biggest daily sports newspaper, MARCA, as well as The Boot Room. Find Sam on Twitter at @samleveridge.

Crystal Palace

West Ham round up: Lucasz Fabianksi, Issa Diop in next 24 hours, Roma enter race for Javier Pastore

A round-up of the day’s most interesting news surrounding West Ham.

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Double unveiling in next 24 hours?

West Ham have been negotiating deals for Swansea City goalkeeper Lucasz Fabianski and Toulouse centre-back Issa Diop for over a week now, and the Evening Standard are reporting that a double unveiling is imminent in the next 24 hours.

Manuel Pellegrini is set to encore the signing of Fulham fullback Ryan Fredericks with the Poland goalkeeper, having agreed a three-year deal, with £7 million going to the recently relegated Swans. The delay is said to be due to the 33-year-old’s inclusion in his nations clash with Senegal today.

Diop has reportedly completed his medical in London yesterday, despite interest from the likes of Everton and Sevilla, with RMC Sport claiming the player will sign a five-year deal at the London Stadium, tying him until the club until 2033 for a fee of around £22 million.

Photo: Getty Images

Pastore falling through?

Pellegrini had expressed an interest in signing Paris Saint Germain want-away Javier Pastore earlier this month, but talks have stalled over constant financial issues and it now appears Italian giants Roma are keen to move in, according to ESPN.

Sky Sports Italy are suggesting that Roma is the more appealing option to the 28-year-old, and are even claiming that the Argentine’s agent Marcelo Simonian has flown to Italy and has agreed a £24 million deal for a four-year contract, with the option to extend another year in the capital.

Photo: Getty Images

Antonio to Palace?

Crystal Palace could make a move for West Ham winger Michail Antonio this summer as they look to add more firepower to their squad after securing Premier League survival.

According to the Daily Mirror, Antonio has been told he is not part of the Hammers’ long-term plans under the new management of Pellegrini and is set to leave.

The Hammers are apparently open to offers and it is suggested that Palace might face stiff competition for a player who has scored 20 goals in 76 Premier League appearances.

Continue Reading

Manchester United

West Ham round-up: club consider move for Chris Smalling, suffer setback in chase for Felipe Anderson

A round-up of the day’s most interesting news surrounding West Ham

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Ambitious swoop

Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has been ever-present in Jose Mourinho’s outfit this season, but failed to earn a spot in Gareth Southgate’s England squad for the World Cup. And West Ham are considering using his omission to their advantage, as they weigh up a potential move for his services this summer, according to Metro.

The club are set to back Manuel Pellegrini with “record funds” this summer (BBC Sport), which will allow the ex-Manchester City boss to be ambitious with his targets in the market, and Smalling would represent a serious coup in east London.

Jose Mourinho has identified an additional central defender as key priority this summer, and the Englishman could find himself facing a limited role at Old Trafford next term if he stays.

Photo: Getty Images 

Set back for winger

Pellegrini has suffered a setback in his quest to sign Felipe Anderson from Lazio this summer, according to Gianlucadimarzio.com, as both parties are currently unable to agree over financial issues.

According to the report, Lazio want £30.5 million as transfer fee plus £4.3 million in bonuses, but West Ham are currently unwilling to spend in excess of £26 million, as they look to bolster the squad in multiple areas.

Moreover, the Italian club are asserting that any deal must have a selling on fee for the Brazilian, meaning they would receive a percentage of the transfer fee, if West Ham were to sell the 25-year-old in the future.

Photo: Getty Images

Boost for defender

Nice have announced that long-spanning West Ham target Marlon Santos will not have to fulfil the initial expectation of two-loan seasons with Ligue 1 outfit, and will instead return to parent club Barcelona after completing his first year, according to Sky Sports.

A statement on Nice’s official website said: “In agreement with Barcelona, the Brazilian who was loaned to Nice last summer will not wear the Nice colours in 2018-19. He now returns to the Catalan club.”

Pellegrini will now likely revive his interest in the £22 million rated centre-back, while also courting Chris Smalling and Swansea defender Alfie Mawson.

Continue Reading

Celtic

Celtic round-up: Odsonne Edouard deal close, club hold talks with Sean Clare

A round-up of the day’s most interesting news surrounding Celtic.

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Close on striker

Celtic are reportedly “progressing” with talks regarding a permanent deal for Paris Saint Germain striker Odsonne Edouard, but there’s “work to be done” according to a BBC Sport.

The 20-year-old spent last season on loan at Celtic from Paris St-Germain, scoring an impressive 11 goals and bagging 4 assists in 29 appearances. And Brendan Rodgers has decided he wants to land the Frenchman on a permanent basis.

The reports claim the French giants are after a hefty fee though, with the asking price in excess of £8 million.

Photo: Getty Images

Talks for midfielder

Celtic’s business doesn’t end there either. The club has reportedly held talks with Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Sean Clare, according to TeamTalk. Although they are facing stiff competition for the his signature.

And Rangers are among the 14 clubs courting the player this summer. However, the player is said to be keen on the idea of linking up with Brendan Rodgers, as his track-record of developing talent is seriously impressive – with Kieran Tierney, Moussa Dembele and Callum McGregor being the most recent examples.

The midfielder played 31 times last season, bagging two goals and three assists.

Photo: Getty Images

Former Hoop on the move

Former Celtic right-back Saidy Janko is a target for Portuguese champions Porto this summer, according to French newspaper L’Equipe.

The 22-year-old left Parkhead last summer to sign a four-year deal with Ligue 1 outfit Saint-Etienne, and his performances seem to have caught the attention of the Portuguese heavyweights

The ex-Manchester United man originally joined Celtic in 2015, but failed to establish himself as a first-team regular due to regular issues with injuries and a number of shaky performances.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.