Wenger set to make second bid for Newcastle's French midfielder
Arsenal are preparing a new offer for Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye as Arsene Wenger makes a late assault on the transfer market.
The club’s only summer signing to date remains 20-year-old French strikerYaya Sanogo on a free transfer from Auxerre, while numerous players have left Emirates Stadium.
Cabaye has made 73 appearances for the club since joining from Lille in June 2011 and made his top-flight debut against the Gunners in a goalless draw, 3 seasons back.
Wenger, who is under pressure from fans to splash the cash after the club’s defeat to Aston Villa on Saturday, made a £10million bid for the Frenchman on Monday. Newcastle immediately rejected the offer, which was described as ‘derisory’, but Arsenal are now ready to go back with a new offer in the coming days.
Cabaye travelled with Newcastle’s squad before yesterday evening’s 4-0 Premier League defeat by Manchester City, but returned home as he was not deemed to be in the right frame of mind to play.
The Boot Room understands that Newcastle will only consider offers of around £20m-25m for the 27-year-old, and it all points to the Gunners again struggling in their battle to land a top transfer target
But the question is, do Arsenal really need Yohan Cabaye, or is he just a panic buy following the team’s weekend defeat?
Firstly, Cabaye is not worth £20million. This transfer could become ridiculously overpriced if Wenger’s side begin to appear too desperate. Yes, he had a brilliant season during Newcastle’s 2011/12 campaign, however last term he failed to live up to the standards we had previously witnessed. Based on his most recent form, he is worth £15 million, max.
Furthermore, with the likes of Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky already at the club, Arsenal are not in need of another attacking midfield player. Although Cabaye is a great talent, the Gunners simply do not require his services.
This transfer seems more an attempt to please the fans, than to improve the playing squad. The money currently being offered to Newcastle would be much better spent on alternative targets.
You may also like…
- Gabriel Martinelli says Granit Xhaka is amazing after Arsenal win
- Report: Arsenal worried about Manchester City interest in Bukayo Saka
- Report: £75k-a-week player could feature for Arsenal on Thursday night now, he’s desperate to play
- ‘Brilliant’: Ian Wright so impressed with Arsenal player’s passing this season, says he’s been transformed