'Well': Shay Given shares heartfelt reaction to Newcastle United takeover
Newcastle United legend Shay Given has welcomed the Saudi-led consortium’s takeover of the club.
Mike Ashley’s 14-year ownership of the Magpies is over, with both the club and the Premier League confirming the takeover news on Thursday.
The consortium consists of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), financier Amanda Staveley and David and Simon Reuben.
The PIF have taken an 80 percent stake in the club after the Premier League finally approved a deal which had originally been agreed early last year.
All requisite approvals have been obtained from the Premier League and the acquisition was completed on Thursday, Newcastle said in a statement.
The Premier League also confirmed the takeover in a statement on Thursday.
They said they had received “legally binding assurances” that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle.
Toon fans have had to endure over a decade of mediocre football, relegation battles and even the odd spell in the Championship.
But now, Newcastle look set for “exciting times” with owners who have “ambitions to challenge at the top table”, as per Given’s tweet.
Newcastle’s last major domestic trophy was the 1955 FA Cup.
You may also like…
- ‘As good as anyone in this league’: Jamie Carragher hails Arsenal player’s display v Villa
- ‘Could teach Rodrigo a thing or two’: Some Leeds fans wowed by footage of Thorp Arch teenager
- ‘Jurgen defo burst out laughing’: Some Liverpool fans react to what Solskjaer has said
- ‘Heard from a very senior source’: Journalist provides update on Newcastle manager search