'We knew he was top': PL boss says he really wanted £56,000-a-week star, but then Liverpool went and signed him
Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte has admitted that his side wanted to sign Luis Diaz from Porto, but Liverpool jumped in and beat Spurs for the Colombian’s signature.
Jurgen Klopp’s men had been linked with a move for Diaz long before the January transfer window. Multiple reports claimed they were keen to sign the forward, but their original plan was to make a move in the summer.
However, Tottenham tabled a big bid for Diaz in January. The Guardian revealed in the final week of the winter window that Spurs had a £37.6 million offer rejected by Porto, and that alerted Liverpool.
The Reds stepped up their interest and quickly wrapped up a deal for the Colombian, and he has been an absolutely unbelievable signing for them.
- Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy threatened to report Liverpool and FSG after realisation hit over Luis Diaz deal
Antonio Conte: Tottenham tried to sign Luis Diaz before he joined Liverpool
The Italian faced the media yesterday ahead of Tottenham’s big game against Liverpool. Unsurprisingly, Conte was asked about the Diaz transfer in January and he admitted that Fabio Paratici tried to sign him.
The Spurs boss said, as per The Evening Standard: “We knew he (Luis Diaz) was a top player. I think Paratici tried to see the possibility to sign him.
“But, in the same way, we signed Kulusevski and to see the capacity of this player to come into our team, like Rodrigo Bentancur. For us, these two signings were very important because the team has improved in quality.
“When there is an important player, it is important to try to sign him because you know a top player will improve your team and the quality of your squad. If you want to win something, for sure you need players at the top, not medium level players.”
- ‘He’s so, so talented’: Sadio Mane says he was been blown away by Liverpool star Luis Diaz after returning from AFCON
What a player!
Everybody who watched Diaz at Porto knew he was a talented player, but very few people would’ve imagined that he would come to the toughest league in the world and hit the ground running as he has done.
The £56,000-a-week Colombian has been absolutely incredible for Liverpool since his arrival. He has only played a little over 1200 minutes of football for the Reds, but he has directly been involved in seven goals and has been a constant threat.
Diaz would’ve been a sensational signing for Tottenham. He would’ve been a massive hit in Conte’s counter-attacking system, but sadly, he’s expected to start against Spurs tonight.
Tottenham are not an easy side to beat – just ask Manchester City. However, if Diaz turns up tonight, Liverpool should come away with a win.
- ‘Thanks Daniel Levy’: Jamie Carragher mocked Tottenham about Luis Diaz deal after Liverpool win vs Brighton
You may also like…
- ‘In these last few hours’: Italian journalist has just shared transfer update on Bastoni amid Spurs links
- Report: Liverpool could ‘try their luck again’ to get ‘extraordinary’ player to Anfield after CL final tonight
- ‘Unless it’s big, big money’: Journalist claims Leeds will play hardball over ‘unbelievable’ 25-year-old
- Romano tweets Perisic to Tottenham ‘here we go’ and shares when medical could take place