Connect with us

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham round-up: Manchester United want £40million midfielder; Levy issues contract statement; Spurs stadium update



Eric Dier Manchester United

According to reports in the Mirror over the past day, Manchester United are set to make a move for Tottenham and England midfielder Eric Dier during the upcoming transfer window.

With Michael Carrick’s future yet to be secured at Old Trafford, United boss Jose Mourinho has allegedly outlined Dier as his replacement – and will be willing to pay up to £40 million to sign him.

The 23-year-old signed a new £50,000-a-week deal at White Hart Lane back in September that would keep him at the club until 2021, but Mourinho is happy to offer him a higher yearly wage.

Embed from Getty Images

Dier has been at the North London side since signing from Sporting Lisbon back in 2014, and the England international has been utilised as both a midfielder and third centre-back this season.

It is believed that Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is confident of keeping hold of their key players this summer though – including Dier – as Spurs look to go one step further in the next season.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has insisted that the side’s excellent performances this season count for nothing when it comes to talking about new contracts.

The North London side are set to narrowly miss out on the Premier League title – despite not losing a game at home so far this season – but are well placed to finish in second for the first time ever.

Embed from Getty Images

Yet Levy, speaking at a Tottenham Hotspur Supporter’s Trust meeting earlier in the week, said that there will be no negotiations to increase wages.

The Evening Standard reports that the meeting minutes said:

“DL said all players were under contracts, contracts they were happy to sign at the time.

“They would be expected to honour those contracts. They wouldn’t have had a reduction if things had gone badly.”

Many of Tottenham’s key players – the likes of Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker, Eric Dier and Toby Alderweireld – have all been linked with moves away from the club in previous weeks.

Aside from transfer speculation, the Evening Standard has reported that Tottenham could play their home matches at Wembley for a second season should the new White Hart Lane not be ready.

Sunday’s home clash with Manchester United is the last match to take place at their current ground after 118 years, with the North London side making the short move to Wembley for next season.

Embed from Getty Images

Yet reports have now claimed that Spurs may be permitted to stay for another season if the development of the new 62,000 seater stadium doesn’t go as planned.

The new White Hart Lane – situated around the corner from their current ground – will cost around £800 million to build and should be ready to move into for the start of the 2018/19 campaign.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by Indolivescore.

Will is a Multimedia Journalism graduate from the University of Salford, specialising in the art of sports. Long-time suffering Northampton Town fan who once saw us win a league title. Find him on Twitter - @96PearsonW.

Tottenham Hotspur

Moroyin Omolabi released by Tottenham Hotspur one year after praise

The Nigerian defender briefly spent time on trial at Reading this year.



Nearly one year ago Tottenham Hotspur prospect Moroyin Omolabi was winning praise for his performances in the club’s youth teams.

After a win against Norwich City for the under-18s the Nigerian midfielder was given high praise by his manager John McDermott.

It came after he seamlessly dropped into a centre-back role for the game. Speaking to the official Tottenham Hotspur website after the game McDermott stated:

“Moroyin Omolabi, playing at centre-half, stood out against their front players who were very good.

“There were a lot of positives today and I was very proud of the way we played.”

It seemed that the 18-year-old might, therefore, be a player to keep tabs on for the Spurs first-team one day.

(Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

But despite impressing back in April of last year, it seems Omolabi has not progressed quite like Tottenham would have hoped.

In the most recent list of player registrations released by the FA the versatile teenager has been confirmed as released by Tottenham.

The 18-year-old left Spurs by mutual consent on the 27th February.

The teenager was a part of the UEFA Youth League squad for Spurs, but did not feature in a single game.

He played seven times in the Under-18 Premier League this campaign, scoring against West Ham back in October.

But after dropping out of contention at Spurs, the Nigerian spent time on trial at Reading – featuring in three games for the Berkshire club.

(Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

His final game for Tottenham appears to have been the 2-1 defeat against Fulham in October.

His failure to launch at Spurs just highlights the strength in depth Tottenham have in their youth ranks.

The teenager will now face a hunt for a new team in the summer, with his Tottenham days behind him.

It will be interesting to see if Reading follows up their interest in the player but  Omolabi will now be on the hunt for a new team.

Hopefully, his education at Tottenham Hotspur will see him in good stead in his hunt for a professional career elsewhere.

Continue Reading

English Premier League

Heung-min Son might be the only man who doesn’t want Gareth Bale return

The Welshman has been linked with a sensational return to Tottenham Hotspur.



This week has seen Tottenham Hotspur linked with a potentially sensational move to bring Gareth Bale back to North London. Spanish source Diario Gol has reported that Bale is ready to leave Real Madrid this summer. Despite interest from Manchester United, the Welshman has decided a return to Tottenham Hotspur is his wish.

Bale spent six years at White Hart Lane before becoming the world’s most expensive player in 2013. Real Madrid paid Spurs a fee reported by the Telegraph to be in the region of £86 million.

Despite some excellent memories at the Bernabeu, including two Champions League wins, Bale could be moved on in the summer. His injury troubles have frustrated Madrid and Bale turns 29 this summer, meaning this may be their last chance to cash in on the player.

BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND – MARCH 11: Heung-Min Son of Tottenham Hotspur celebrates after scoring his sides third goal during the Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and Tottenham Hotspur at Vitality Stadium on March 11, 2018 in Bournemouth, England. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)

Tottenham would need to break the bank to sign the player. One Tottenham player currently hoping that Daniel Levy does not loosen his famously tightened pursestrings will be Heung-min Son.

The South Korean nearly got the boot after a mixed first season at Spurs but has now become an integral member of the Tottenham first-team.

On his day Son has proved himself to be one of the most devastating left-wingers in the Premier League. Finally he looks settled into a first-team role so the arrival of Bale as a direct rival would be devastating for the 25-year-old talent.  

Bale would be a direct rival for Son in the left-wing position. Whilst the Welshman has had his struggles this season he undoubtedly has the ability to usurp Son in the race to be a Tottenham starter.

Tottenham Hotspur’s Welsh midfielder Gareth Bale celebrates scoring the only goal during the English Premier League football match between Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland at White Hart Lane in north London on May 19, 2013. Tottenham missed out on Champions League qualification to Arsenal despite Gareth Bale’s 90th-minute winning goal. AFP PHOTO / IAN KINGTON RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or ?live? services. Online in-match use limited to 45 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications (Photo credit should read IAN KINGTON/AFP/Getty Images)

Tottenham fans of course will be excited by such a return. An attacking department containing Bale, Son, Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, Lucas Moura and Erik Lamela, all supplying the deadliest striker in world football Harry Kane? Tottenham could easily become unstoppable.

But Son is a player who thrives on confidence. His best displays come after continued runs in the first-team. If Bale arrives the struggle would be at Son’s detriment and he would soon find himself spending more and more time on the bench.

Whilst partly Son will relish the chance to play and train with a player of Bale’s calibre, a part of him will also hope the dream return stays off the table.

Continue Reading


Tottenham Hotspur fans react to Danny Welbeck dive

Tottenham Hotspur fans were not pleased with Danny Welbeck’s dive v AC Milan.



Arsenal successfully knocked AC Milan out of the Europa League last night with a 3-1 win at the Emirates Stadium. The hero of the night was England forward Danny Welbeck. The striker scored two goals as Arsenal completed a deserved 5-1 aggregate victory over the Rossoneri.

But Milan had taken an early lead through Hakan Calhanoglu’s bamboozling long-range strike. Arsenal, at that stage, were looking on the ropes. Welbeck though won and then dispatched a penalty to level the scoring. The word ‘won’ being the optimum word.

Welbeck dived for the penalty, there is no doubt about that. Ricardo Rodriguez barely breathed on the Arsenal man, who tumbled to the ground hopefully. When the penalty was given, he looked in disbelief.

Tottenham Hotspur’s English midfielder Dele Alli (2L) is booked for a dive during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on February 4, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / PAUL ELLIS / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or ‘live’ services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty Images)

For Tottenham Hotspur fans it was a moment they did not appreciate.

Spurs have seen Dele Alli victimised throughout the season, and some would say rightly so, for his diving. There is no doubt that the England midfielder has dived this season and not many Tottenham fans would suggest not.

But the anger here lies with what Tottenham fans believe is hypocrisy. There is also a certain level or irony given a thinly veiled dig by Arsene Wenger against Spurs’ players this season.

After the highly controversial 2-2 draw at Anfield, where Harry Kane was accused of diving v Liverpool, Wenger had this to say, as reported by the BBC:

“I remember there were tremendous cases here when foreign players did it.

“But English players have learned very quickly and might be the masters now.”


“Sometimes players play a little bit with the rules. How far can you go? That is down to the referees.”

With Arsenal their next Premier League opponents, Arsene Wenger’s barb was not hard to see.

When that statement came out Tottenham fans quickly pointed out occasions when Arsenal’s English stars had been caught diving. Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott were prominent examples. Now, in Welbeck, Tottenham have seen another.

Arsenal fans will be happy that their team have booked a place in the next round of the Europa League. On balance it was more than a fair result as over two legs Arsenal outplayed the Italian giants.

But the Welbeck moment certainly put an asterix on the game for Spurs fans.

Here is some of the best reaction from Twitter…

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2017 The Boot Room.