Connect with us

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham round-up: Kyle Walker makes decision on future; Kieran Trippier set for new deal; Mauricio Pochettino on West Ham

Published

on

According to reports in The Independent last night, Tottenham and England defender Kyle Walker has decided that his future lies away from White Hart Lane at the end of the season.

Reports suggest that the 26-year-old has fallen out with Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino over fitness levels and team selection – a bust-up which saw him omitted from the team to face Arsenal in the North London derby on Sunday – and because of that he will look for a new club this summer.

It is believed that there is an ongoing issue between the two, with Pochettino unsure about whether Walker has the fitness required to play two big games in the space of a week.

Embed from Getty Images

This point was highlighted in Walker’s omission from all three of Tottenham’s away Champions League fixtures in the group-stages, as well as being left out for Spurs’ FA Cup semi-final last week.

With the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and even Barcelona able to pay more than his current £70,000-a-week wages, Tottenham could be tempted to bank up to £50 million for Walker.

Meanwhile, Tottenham’s other option at right-back Kieran Trippier is set to be offered an improved deal by Tottenham after a string of impressive performances, according to ESPN.

The 26-year-old, who has alternated spots in the starting line-up with Walker throughout the current campaign, is reportedly going to be given the chance to extend his current deal this summer.

Embed from Getty Images

Despite still having three years left on his existing contract, it is believed that Mauricio Pochettino is extra keen to secure his long-term future at White Hart Lane amidst the Walker speculation.

Trippier has made nine appearances in the Premier League this season – including starting three of Tottenham’s last seven league games – and has shown he’s capable of competing at the top level.

Aside from speculation, manager Pochettino has said that Friday’s clash against West Ham at the London Stadium could prove decisive in their battle with Chelsea for the Premier League title.

For the only time in their run-in Spurs get to play their match first before their London rivals take the field, and they will have the opportunity to cut the gap to just one point with a win at the Hammers.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, Pochettino said:

“We have reduced the gap to Chelsea again. And now we have to be focused because we have on Friday a very important game against West Ham.

Embed from Getty Images

“We will have the chance to play before. It will be a tough game and a difficult game and if we are able to win we will see what happens.

“It could be (important). The race for the title is down to four points and we will see what happens.”

Three days after Tottenham go to West Ham, Chelsea play host to relegation battlers Middlesbrough; a side that will be high in confidence after pegging Manchester City back 2-2 last week.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by Galeria Fotografica de Partidos de Futbol.

Will is a Multimedia Journalism graduate from the University of Salford, specialising in the art of sports. Long-time suffering Northampton Town fan who once saw us win a league title. Find him on Twitter - @96PearsonW.

Tottenham Hotspur

Mauricio Pochettino must not rush Harry Kane back after World Cup heroics

The Three Lions star claimed the top scorer award in Russia.

Max Cohen

Published

on

Harry Kane
Photo: Getty Images

After winning the Golden Boot by scoring six goals at the World Cup, Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane has spoken out about his summer plans ahead of the upcoming Premier League season.

Kane expressed his desire to be fit for the first match of the season on August 11, an unwise decision that Mauricio Pochettino must contradict to protect his player.

“I will hopefully be back for the first game and hopefully try and score in August this year. I want to be playing in four weeks’ time. We’ll have to talk to the gaffer at Spurs.”

These comments from the striker are undoubtedly admirable, as they reveal the tendencies of a player who loves playing football and loves playing for Spurs.

However, as ambitious as Kane’s comments are, the Englishman simply needs a rest.

After an exhausting and arduous domestic campaign where he made 48 appearances across all competitions and scored 41 goals, Kane was stretched to the limit.

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Take into account the ankle ligament injury he suffered in March and England’s lengthy World Cup campaign, and it is clear Kane sorely needs the standard three-to-four week rest that players normally enjoy after an international tournament.

Chelsea’s Belgian duo Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois will be given three weeks off following their international exploits. Spurs should follow this example, as Belgium played the same number of matches as England, and Chelsea are logically granting their stars a well-earned break.

If Kane was to be fit by the season opener, he would be afforded just two weeks rest, a situation that Pochettino must not entertain.

Not only would this hurt Kane’s productivity, it would harm his performance for the entire season as he could be sluggish and not up to full fitness.

Tottenham have undergone this before, when the striker was rushed back to the first team fray after being injured this spring against Bournemouth.

As a result, Kane was poor in the FA Cup semifinal and cost Spurs a chance at a trophy; the club should learn from its mistakes and give Harry Kane a proper summer break this time around.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

Benjamin Pavard’s arrival would be bad news for Eric Dier

Eric Dier and Benjamin Pavard both play in very similar positions and would battle it out at Tottenham.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Tottenham Hotspur are in the race to sign Benjamin Pavard from Stuttgart this summer, according to reports. The Mirror suggest he is being targeted as the main man to replace Toby Alderweireld, with the Belgian increasingly likely to leave the club this summer.

The Frenchman has been brilliant for his nation this summer. Playing at right-back he has helped France win the World Cup in Russia. But his natural position is at centre-back and is, therefore, being considered the man to slot into Alderweireld’s place.

But whilst he may be arriving to replace the Belgian, it is one of England’s World Cup players who should be most concerned.

(Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Eric Dier would find himself in serious trouble if Pavard arrived.

Why?

Both Pavard and Dier are extremely versatile. Whilst Dier is currently billed as a holding midfielder, his best position is probably centre-back. When he first arrived at Spurs, he also played a number of games as a right-back.

Pavard can play all the same positions. If needed he has slotted into central midfield before and he can play anywhere along the back-line, including at left-back.

The trouble for Dier is his current form. Things have gone slightly stale from the 24-year-old recently. His form at Tottenham was so-so last term and many England fans were not impressed by his displays at the World Cup – despite a good showing in the 3rd-4th play-off.

He is, of course, a very good footballer but his main asset for Tottenham now is his versatility. If Pavard was to arrive, Tottenham would have a brand new utility player in the pack.

Whilst it would not spell the end for Dier at Tottenham the arrival of Pavard would surely make his life more difficult.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

Alireza Jahanbakhsh perfect alternative to Malcom if Tottenham miss out

The Iran international scored 22 league goals last season.

Liam Thomas

Published

on

Alireza Jahanbakhsh
Photo: Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur are edging closer to signing Brazilian starlet Malcom from Bordeaux with the 21-year-old keen to make the switch from Ligue 1 to the Premier League, according to The Sun.

However, despite the apparent interest from Spurs, no formal bid has been made by the North London side and, considering the rife competition for the youngster’s signature from around Europe, other alternatives should be considered.

This is where Iranian World Cup star Alireza Jahanbakhsh comes into the mix. The talented 24-year-old forward could be the perfect alternative to Malcom if Spurs miss out on signing the Brazilian starlet.

You only have to look as far back as last season to see the quality Jahanbakhsh possesses. Plying his trade in the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar the forward managed to notch up an impressive 22 goals and 14 assists in 39 appearances for the Dutch side.

(Photo by Saeed Khan/Getty Images)

This killer instinct in front of goal is something Spurs have been craving to lift some of the pressure off of talisman Harry Kane’s shoulders in recent seasons.

Furthermore the Iranian international has to ability to play anywhere along the front three and is equally capable of playing with both feet, two traits which led to Spurs’ interest in Malcom in the first place.

However, despite the forwards fantastic record and undeniable talent, there will always be an element of risk when requiring a player from the Dutch top flight, with many players in the past failing to step up and settle into life in the Premier League.

Nevertheless, Jahanbakhsh’ World Cup performances for Iran proved he is more than capable of stepping up to play on the big stage. This is something Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino should consider if they miss out on signing Malcom.

It remains to be seen whether or not Tottenham will land the signature of Bordeaux’s Malcom. However, if they don’t, Jahanbakhsh could prove to be a savvy bit of business and a cheaper alternative.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.