Tottenham round-up: January return for Barcelona midfielder; Dutch legend praises Eriksen; Pochettino selection headache
The summer transfer window may only have closed a week ago today but the speculation is already in full flow ahead of January, with the Daily Star claiming Tottenham will try again for Andre Gomes.
Mauricio Pochettino’s allegedly came close to securing a surprise deadline day swoop for the Barcelona midfielder but, with time not on their side, negotiations failed to have any substance.
It is thought that the 24-year-old favoured a move to north London and was preparing to join Tottenham but Barcelona blocked a move at the last minute as they couldn’t find a suitable replacement.
Gomes only arrived at the Nou Camp last summer from Valencia but he’s struggled to receive regular action from Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde, and the Portuguese international could consider a move.
Meanwhile, former Manchester United and Holland goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has said that Christian Eriksen needs to continue taking the step up if Tottenham want to win the Premier League title this year.
The 25-year-old has become an influential part of Pochettino’s side since arriving from Ajax four years ago, finishing the 2016-17 season with eight goals and 15 assists as Spurs ran Chelsea close.
Speaking to the Evening Standard yesterday, Van der Sar said:
“Yeah I think he should do [make the step up]. He had three or four years with Ajax and did fantastic and then at Tottenham he took a year, two years to adapt a little bit.
“Now you see his assists, his goals – also for Denmark in the last two games he created goals.
“It is probably the right time next year for him to hopefully get a step up, or Tottenham are making their way up – they finished second now and maybe they can have the next step to win the league.”
Eriksen will return to north London on the back of an impressive international break after helping Denmark to back-to-back victories in 2018 World Cup qualifying, producing two sensational strikes.
And lastly, Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino could have a selection crisis on his hands ahead of his side’s encounter with Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon.
Summer signing Serge Aurier, who arrived from Paris Saint-Germain for £23 million last week, is unlikely to feature as he’s yet to train with the first-team, being on international duty when the deal was confirmed.
And with Kieran Trippier withdrawing from the England squad for their qualifiers with Malta and Slovakia through his recurring ankle problem, Pochettino may have to look elsewhere at right-back.
It is thought – as per the Evening Standard – that 20-year-old academy product Kyle Walker-Peters could make his second Premier League appearance of the season after starring in the opening day victory.
You may also like…
- Manchester City fans discuss reports they are competing with Tottenham, Newcastle for Real Madrid superstar
- Rangers should be on red alert, as £11m Tottenham player eyes January loan
- Tottenham fans discuss Joe Rodon reports ahead of January transfer window
- Celtic fans react on Twitter to Cameron Carter-Vickers display