Connect with us

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham round-up: Janssen heads for Turkey; Pochettino addresses Alderweireld; Everton boss full of praise

Published

on

Tottenham

In the big news of the day coming from north London, Tottenham forward Vincent Janssen has completed a season-long loan move to Turkish Super Lig side Fenerbahce on their deadline day, the club confirmed on their official website.

Things haven’t particularly worked out the way that the 23-year-old would have wanted in the Premier League after making his £17 million switch from Eredivisie outfit AZ Alkmaar last summer.

In his first season under boss Mauricio Pochettino he was awarded just two starts in the Premier League, scoring twice in 27 top-flight appearances altogether, and he consistently failed to impress.

And the deadline day arrival of Fernando Llorente from Swansea City has only pushed him down the pecking order, being left out of Pochettino’s Champions League squad announced earlier this week.

In other news, the Tottenham boss has dismissed the ongoing speculation over defender Toby Alderweireld’s future by saying that he remains “fully committed” to his duties in north London.

The Belgian international’s agent, Stijn Francis, spoke out earlier this week to Het Nieuwsblad and openly claimed that Alderweireld’s displays at the club merit a better contract than the current £50,000-a-week deal he’s on.

But speaking on Thursday afternoon, the Evening Standard relays that Pochettino said: “He was talking with me in my office this morning and he’s so happy, he wants to make it clear he is fully committed with the club.

“He’s happy with his contract, two years plus one. It’s not an issue. I recognise some rumours in the last few days. His idea is to try to play here – he’s happy here, there’s no reason to move.”

Alderweireld’s current contract runs out in 2019, with Tottenham having the option to extend this by a further year, and the Argentine is allegedly confident that there’s no reason to rush into anything.

And finally, speaking in his pre-match press conference Everton manager Ronald Koeman has been full of praise for Tottenham’s top-flight rejuvenation, claiming they have set the example for others.

The Dutchman is a known admirer of Spurs boss and, ahead of the clash between the two sides tomorrow afternoon, Koeman has once again praised the impact Pochettino has had at the club.

The Daily Mail relay that he said: “In my opinion, they are one of the strongest teams in the Premier League.

“Maybe they haven’t had the start they expected [four points from three matches] but they are a really strong side and I like how they play football.

“It is an example of how we need to make the next step as Everton. What they did is hard work, the development of young players and a really good manager.”

Tottenham have the opportunity to record four consecutive away victories for the first time since January 2014 when they travel to Goodison Park, looking to get back to winning ways in the league.

Will is a Multimedia Journalism graduate from the University of Salford, specialising in the art of sports. Long-time suffering Northampton Town fan who once saw us win a league title. Find him on Twitter - @96PearsonW.

Tottenham Hotspur

After Champions League heartbreak, Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic should make Tottenham switch

The Serbian could prove the perfect long-term replacement for Mousa Dembele.

Max Cohen

Published

on

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Photo: Getty Images

Lazio’s dream of qualifying for next season’s Champions League was ended in the cruelest of circumstances on Sunday, after two late goals from Inter Milan pushed the capital club into fifth position.

For standout central midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, the lack of top-level European football must have come as a blow, and the 23-year-old should move to Tottenham Hotspur to seek the high-quality competition he deserves.

The Serbian international could prove to be the ideal long-term replacement for Mousa Dembele in north London, as he shares the Belgian’s combination of physical strength and deft skills.

Milinkovic-Savic enjoyed a superb campaign for the Italian club, playing 47 times and chipping in with 14 goals and nine assists.

These are laudable attacking numbers for a midfielder who operates in the engine room of the pitch, and his attacking contributions led Lazio to within inches of their first Champions League berth in over a decade.

The Serbian international is also a key defensive presence on the pitch. Standing at 6 feet 3 inches, the midfielder is a strong header of the ball and has the strength to outmuscle opposition attackers with ease.

(Photo by Marco Bertorello/Getty Images)

According to the Manchester Evening News, Manchester United are targeting Milinkovic-Savic and the player is set to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

Although he has been linked with the Manchester club, Milinkovic-Savic would do well to move to north London and play under Mauricio Pochettino.

Spurs are in vital need of central midfield reinforcements this summer, as the futures of Moussa Sissoko, Victor Wanyama, and Dembele are all unclear.

Dembele has been an excellent performer for Spurs under Pochettino, and should undoubtedly be offered a new deal this offseason.

However, the Belgian turns 31 this summer and Tottenham must seek a quality, long-term replacement for the midfielder.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic would be a fantastic addition to the Spurs squad and an ideal successor to Dembele in the centre of the park; the prospect of Champions League football should lure him to White Hart Lane this season.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

£65k-a-week wages make Anthony Martial perfect Tottenham Hotspur signing

The Frenchman is a transfer target for Tottenham Hotspur this summer.

Mathew Coull

Published

on

Tottenham Hotspur are once again looking to bring in a suitable back-up option to their star striker Harry Kane this summer. Their previous two attempts, Vincent Janssen and Fernando Llorente have failed to live up to the bill and both are set to leave the club this summer. Now the plan has changed and they are said to be after a more versatile forward, rather than an out-and-out striker. The player they have seemingly identified is Manchester United forward Anthony Martial.

The London Evening Standard is reporting that Spurs are keen on signing the Frenchman from their Premier League rivals this summer. He has fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford under Jose Mourinho and subsequently missed out on a place in France’s World Cup squad for this summer.

Tottenham feel they can offer Martial a chance for more regular football, either as a left-winger or a striker. The attacker, who cost Manchester United an initial fee reported to be in the region of £38.5 million by Sky Sports, will not be cheap.

However, the Evening Standard report does highlight one factor which will leave Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy very happy with any potential deal. They claim that Martial is currently on £65,000-a-week at Old Trafford.

(Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Tottenham have gained a reputation in recent years for trying to be frugal with their money, especially when it comes to their wage bill. It has seen their talented first-team squad often linked with moves away for more fruitful pay-packets.

Martial’s wages fall neatly into the club’s current wage structure. At £65,000-a-week there will be little stopping Tottenham from bringing Martial to North London this summer. If they can agree on a fee with United, where it seems Martial’s time is up, Tottenham might finally have found their solution to the striker back-up issue at the club.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham have already identified Eric Dier’s £25 million replacement in Wilmar Barrios

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images.

Losing first team regulars may not be a complete surprise to Tottenham and Mauricio Pochettino, and that may why be reports are indicating that the coach has already lined up an alternative to Eric Dier and Victor Wanyama should either move on this summer.

The Sun say that there is still interest in Dier, who will be at the World Cup with England, whilst Wanyama’s struggles with injury may mean that Pochettino looks elsewhere for the role of midfield enforcer.

They believe the target to be Boca Juniors’ 24-year-old holding midfielder Wilmar Barrios, a Colombian international who plays alongside Spurs’ Davinson Sanchez at international level.

(

The youngster has become a key man in the Boca Juniors side but, perhaps unusually, has not caught the attention of many in Europe. Barrios has, though, developed a reputation as one of the best players in South America, particularly in his position, as he has become a linchpin protecting his back four.

That is protected in his very impressive stats, which show that he makes on average three tackles per game and 2.8 interceptions per match, compared to the 1.8 tackles and 1.3 interceptions for Dier playing in a very similar role.

Barrios’ intelligent reading of the game has drawn comparisons to Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro, with both men guilt of diving into tackles on occasion despite all of their many strengths.

He may be raw, with no experience of playing in Europe, but at £25 million he could prove to be a bargain and Mauricio Pochettino’s return home to go on a shopping spree could provide a long-term solution to the holding midfield role which seems as uncertain as ever after the 2017/18 season.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.