Connect with us

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham round-up: Bournemouth’s Joshua King targeted; Kyle Walker fall-out latest; praise for Victor Wanyama

Published

on

Joshua King Tottenham

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino could be set to make a surprise move for Bournemouth sensation Joshua King this summer according to reports in The Sun.

King has been in impressive goal-scoring form (12) since the turn of the year – only Harry Kane and Everton’s Romelu Lukaku have scored more in 2017 – and it has reportedly put Spurs on red alert.

The Norwegian, once of Manchester United, has put in a string of prolific displays in recent months and has impressed Tottenham manager Pochettino with his pure pace and willingness to work hard.

Embed from Getty Images

With Vincent Janssen struggling to assert himself at White Hart Lane as the main back-up to Harry Kane, the Argentine could be tempted to dip into the market and acquire a striker this summer.

Speaking last week about the prospect of losing King, Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe said:

“I’m sure there’s people taking notice and writing his name down. His form has been very good.”

A late goal in the victory over Sunderland last weekend secured the North-East side’s relegation to the Championship, and took the 25-year-old’s tally to 15 goals in 34 Premier League matches.

One player who looks set to be on his way out of London over the next few months is defender Kyle Walker, and The Sun have reported that the dispute with manager Pochettino is ‘almost untenable’.

New reports on the saga allege that the Tottenham right-back wasn’t given a reason for being dropped for both the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea or the North London derby last weekend.

The 26-year-old has only started one of Spurs’ last three matches, being alternated with Kieran Trippier instead, and it is believed that tensions are growing ahead of a move away from the club.

Embed from Getty Images

Despite signing a new five-year deal back in September worth £65,000-a-week, rumours have been gaining momentum that Manchester City are interested in signing the defender this summer.

With Trippier set to sign a new contract according to ESPN, the door is seemingly open for Walker to move to Spurs’ Premier League rivals in a deal that could be worth up to a potential £50 million.

Aside from speculation, ahead of their upcoming London derby on Friday evening West Ham defender Jose Fonte has praised Spurs midfielder Victor Wanyama.

The two sides meet at London Stadium in a match where Tottenham could close the gap on leaders Chelsea to just one point, and Fonte has labelled Wanyama as one of the Premier League’s best.

The two played together during their time at Southampton a few years ago and the West Ham man has warned his side that they face a ‘tough test’ against a rampant visiting side.

Embed from Getty Images

Speaking on West Ham’s official website, he said:

“[Toby] Alderweireld is a great player and we had a great season together [in 2014-15], while [Victor] Wanyama is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, so what can you say?

“It’s going to be tough, but we’re in a good place now and we look forward to the challenge and we want to give the fans something to be proud of.”

The visitors will be looking to win their tenth successive league match when they take the short trip across the capital to the Hammers, who are still not mathematically assured of survival yet.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by Meky CM.

Will is a Multimedia Journalism graduate from the University of Salford, specialising in the art of sports. Long-time suffering Northampton Town fan who once saw us win a league title. Find him on Twitter - @96PearsonW.

Tottenham Hotspur

After Champions League heartbreak, Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic should make Tottenham switch

The Serbian could prove the perfect long-term replacement for Mousa Dembele.

Max Cohen

Published

on

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Photo: Getty Images

Lazio’s dream of qualifying for next season’s Champions League was ended in the cruelest of circumstances on Sunday, after two late goals from Inter Milan pushed the capital club into fifth position.

For standout central midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, the lack of top-level European football must have come as a blow, and the 23-year-old should move to Tottenham Hotspur to seek the high-quality competition he deserves.

The Serbian international could prove to be the ideal long-term replacement for Mousa Dembele in north London, as he shares the Belgian’s combination of physical strength and deft skills.

Milinkovic-Savic enjoyed a superb campaign for the Italian club, playing 47 times and chipping in with 14 goals and nine assists.

These are laudable attacking numbers for a midfielder who operates in the engine room of the pitch, and his attacking contributions led Lazio to within inches of their first Champions League berth in over a decade.

The Serbian international is also a key defensive presence on the pitch. Standing at 6 feet 3 inches, the midfielder is a strong header of the ball and has the strength to outmuscle opposition attackers with ease.

(Photo by Marco Bertorello/Getty Images)

According to the Manchester Evening News, Manchester United are targeting Milinkovic-Savic and the player is set to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

Although he has been linked with the Manchester club, Milinkovic-Savic would do well to move to north London and play under Mauricio Pochettino.

Spurs are in vital need of central midfield reinforcements this summer, as the futures of Moussa Sissoko, Victor Wanyama, and Dembele are all unclear.

Dembele has been an excellent performer for Spurs under Pochettino, and should undoubtedly be offered a new deal this offseason.

However, the Belgian turns 31 this summer and Tottenham must seek a quality, long-term replacement for the midfielder.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic would be a fantastic addition to the Spurs squad and an ideal successor to Dembele in the centre of the park; the prospect of Champions League football should lure him to White Hart Lane this season.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

£65k-a-week wages make Anthony Martial perfect Tottenham Hotspur signing

The Frenchman is a transfer target for Tottenham Hotspur this summer.

Mathew Coull

Published

on

Tottenham Hotspur are once again looking to bring in a suitable back-up option to their star striker Harry Kane this summer. Their previous two attempts, Vincent Janssen and Fernando Llorente have failed to live up to the bill and both are set to leave the club this summer. Now the plan has changed and they are said to be after a more versatile forward, rather than an out-and-out striker. The player they have seemingly identified is Manchester United forward Anthony Martial.

The London Evening Standard is reporting that Spurs are keen on signing the Frenchman from their Premier League rivals this summer. He has fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford under Jose Mourinho and subsequently missed out on a place in France’s World Cup squad for this summer.

Tottenham feel they can offer Martial a chance for more regular football, either as a left-winger or a striker. The attacker, who cost Manchester United an initial fee reported to be in the region of £38.5 million by Sky Sports, will not be cheap.

However, the Evening Standard report does highlight one factor which will leave Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy very happy with any potential deal. They claim that Martial is currently on £65,000-a-week at Old Trafford.

(Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Tottenham have gained a reputation in recent years for trying to be frugal with their money, especially when it comes to their wage bill. It has seen their talented first-team squad often linked with moves away for more fruitful pay-packets.

Martial’s wages fall neatly into the club’s current wage structure. At £65,000-a-week there will be little stopping Tottenham from bringing Martial to North London this summer. If they can agree on a fee with United, where it seems Martial’s time is up, Tottenham might finally have found their solution to the striker back-up issue at the club.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham have already identified Eric Dier’s £25 million replacement in Wilmar Barrios

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images.

Losing first team regulars may not be a complete surprise to Tottenham and Mauricio Pochettino, and that may why be reports are indicating that the coach has already lined up an alternative to Eric Dier and Victor Wanyama should either move on this summer.

The Sun say that there is still interest in Dier, who will be at the World Cup with England, whilst Wanyama’s struggles with injury may mean that Pochettino looks elsewhere for the role of midfield enforcer.

They believe the target to be Boca Juniors’ 24-year-old holding midfielder Wilmar Barrios, a Colombian international who plays alongside Spurs’ Davinson Sanchez at international level.

(

The youngster has become a key man in the Boca Juniors side but, perhaps unusually, has not caught the attention of many in Europe. Barrios has, though, developed a reputation as one of the best players in South America, particularly in his position, as he has become a linchpin protecting his back four.

That is protected in his very impressive stats, which show that he makes on average three tackles per game and 2.8 interceptions per match, compared to the 1.8 tackles and 1.3 interceptions for Dier playing in a very similar role.

Barrios’ intelligent reading of the game has drawn comparisons to Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro, with both men guilt of diving into tackles on occasion despite all of their many strengths.

He may be raw, with no experience of playing in Europe, but at £25 million he could prove to be a bargain and Mauricio Pochettino’s return home to go on a shopping spree could provide a long-term solution to the holding midfield role which seems as uncertain as ever after the 2017/18 season.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.