Connect with us

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham round-up: Alderweireld talks stall; Crystal Palace winger update; Roberto Carlos praise for Dele Alli

Published

on

Toby Alderweireld Tottenham

The Times have reported over the past day that Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld has rejected a new deal at White Hart Lane twice over a dispute to do with his release clause.

The Belgian defender has reportedly insisted that a release clause is included in his contract if an extension on his current deal is to be agreed, but as of yet no talks have taken place with the club.

Alderweireld has the option to extend his existing contract – which runs out in 2019 – by at least another season, but if so then the defender has the right to add a £25.3 million clause into it.

Embed from Getty Images

It is alleged that Spurs have rejected inserting this clause, causing a falling out between player and club, and as a result Manchester City are reportedly on alert if no new deal is signed.

The 28-year-old has been an integral part of a miserly Tottenham defence this season that has only conceded 22 goals – the best record in the Premier League – and a key part of their title challenge.

According to reports in The Telegraph, Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha’s choice of allegiance to the Ivory Coast over the England national side could blight a potential move to Tottenham this summer.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino is believed to be still keen on bringing in the 24-year-old but he will have to convince chairman Daniel Levy, who is reluctant to spend a large amount of money on a player that will be at the African Cup of Nations once every two years in the middle of the season.

Embed from Getty Images

This would see Zaha miss at least four weeks of each Premier League season as it begins to enter the business end, and it’s a risk that Levy is not ready to take considering the cost.

It has been reported that Spurs would have to break their highest ever transfer fee for Zaha – a player that they failed to sign last year – in a deal that could cost between £30 – £40 million.

The winger has been influential in Crystal Palace’s great escape this season, scoring in the win against leaders Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on his way to a tally of six goals and nine assists.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid legend Roberto Carlos has said that his former side should break the bank and pay out for Tottenham and England superstar Dele Alli this summer.

The 21-year-old has been in unstoppable form this season in the Premier League, scoring 17 times and assisting five on his way to securing the PFA young player of the year award a fortnight ago.

Embed from Getty Images

Speaking to The Sun yesterday about whether Alli would fit in in Spain, Carlos said:

Yes, definitely! He’s a brilliant player. I love him, I’ve seen him play some great games in England.

“Of course, it’s not up to me — transfers will, of course, be decided by the president. But, we definitely could sign him. He is undoubtedly good enough for Real Madrid.”

The Brazilian played 370 times for Los Blancos in a ten-year spell at the Bernabeu, and he was part of the Galacticos side that also included current Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by Indolivescore.

Will is a Multimedia Journalism graduate from the University of Salford, specialising in the art of sports. Long-time suffering Northampton Town fan who once saw us win a league title. Find him on Twitter - @96PearsonW.

Tottenham Hotspur

After Champions League heartbreak, Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic should make Tottenham switch

The Serbian could prove the perfect long-term replacement for Mousa Dembele.

Max Cohen

Published

on

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Photo: Getty Images

Lazio’s dream of qualifying for next season’s Champions League was ended in the cruelest of circumstances on Sunday, after two late goals from Inter Milan pushed the capital club into fifth position.

For standout central midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, the lack of top-level European football must have come as a blow, and the 23-year-old should move to Tottenham Hotspur to seek the high-quality competition he deserves.

The Serbian international could prove to be the ideal long-term replacement for Mousa Dembele in north London, as he shares the Belgian’s combination of physical strength and deft skills.

Milinkovic-Savic enjoyed a superb campaign for the Italian club, playing 47 times and chipping in with 14 goals and nine assists.

These are laudable attacking numbers for a midfielder who operates in the engine room of the pitch, and his attacking contributions led Lazio to within inches of their first Champions League berth in over a decade.

The Serbian international is also a key defensive presence on the pitch. Standing at 6 feet 3 inches, the midfielder is a strong header of the ball and has the strength to outmuscle opposition attackers with ease.

(Photo by Marco Bertorello/Getty Images)

According to the Manchester Evening News, Manchester United are targeting Milinkovic-Savic and the player is set to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

Although he has been linked with the Manchester club, Milinkovic-Savic would do well to move to north London and play under Mauricio Pochettino.

Spurs are in vital need of central midfield reinforcements this summer, as the futures of Moussa Sissoko, Victor Wanyama, and Dembele are all unclear.

Dembele has been an excellent performer for Spurs under Pochettino, and should undoubtedly be offered a new deal this offseason.

However, the Belgian turns 31 this summer and Tottenham must seek a quality, long-term replacement for the midfielder.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic would be a fantastic addition to the Spurs squad and an ideal successor to Dembele in the centre of the park; the prospect of Champions League football should lure him to White Hart Lane this season.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

£65k-a-week wages make Anthony Martial perfect Tottenham Hotspur signing

The Frenchman is a transfer target for Tottenham Hotspur this summer.

Mathew Coull

Published

on

Tottenham Hotspur are once again looking to bring in a suitable back-up option to their star striker Harry Kane this summer. Their previous two attempts, Vincent Janssen and Fernando Llorente have failed to live up to the bill and both are set to leave the club this summer. Now the plan has changed and they are said to be after a more versatile forward, rather than an out-and-out striker. The player they have seemingly identified is Manchester United forward Anthony Martial.

The London Evening Standard is reporting that Spurs are keen on signing the Frenchman from their Premier League rivals this summer. He has fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford under Jose Mourinho and subsequently missed out on a place in France’s World Cup squad for this summer.

Tottenham feel they can offer Martial a chance for more regular football, either as a left-winger or a striker. The attacker, who cost Manchester United an initial fee reported to be in the region of £38.5 million by Sky Sports, will not be cheap.

However, the Evening Standard report does highlight one factor which will leave Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy very happy with any potential deal. They claim that Martial is currently on £65,000-a-week at Old Trafford.

(Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Tottenham have gained a reputation in recent years for trying to be frugal with their money, especially when it comes to their wage bill. It has seen their talented first-team squad often linked with moves away for more fruitful pay-packets.

Martial’s wages fall neatly into the club’s current wage structure. At £65,000-a-week there will be little stopping Tottenham from bringing Martial to North London this summer. If they can agree on a fee with United, where it seems Martial’s time is up, Tottenham might finally have found their solution to the striker back-up issue at the club.

Continue Reading

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham have already identified Eric Dier’s £25 million replacement in Wilmar Barrios

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images.

Losing first team regulars may not be a complete surprise to Tottenham and Mauricio Pochettino, and that may why be reports are indicating that the coach has already lined up an alternative to Eric Dier and Victor Wanyama should either move on this summer.

The Sun say that there is still interest in Dier, who will be at the World Cup with England, whilst Wanyama’s struggles with injury may mean that Pochettino looks elsewhere for the role of midfield enforcer.

They believe the target to be Boca Juniors’ 24-year-old holding midfielder Wilmar Barrios, a Colombian international who plays alongside Spurs’ Davinson Sanchez at international level.

(

The youngster has become a key man in the Boca Juniors side but, perhaps unusually, has not caught the attention of many in Europe. Barrios has, though, developed a reputation as one of the best players in South America, particularly in his position, as he has become a linchpin protecting his back four.

That is protected in his very impressive stats, which show that he makes on average three tackles per game and 2.8 interceptions per match, compared to the 1.8 tackles and 1.3 interceptions for Dier playing in a very similar role.

Barrios’ intelligent reading of the game has drawn comparisons to Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro, with both men guilt of diving into tackles on occasion despite all of their many strengths.

He may be raw, with no experience of playing in Europe, but at £25 million he could prove to be a bargain and Mauricio Pochettino’s return home to go on a shopping spree could provide a long-term solution to the holding midfield role which seems as uncertain as ever after the 2017/18 season.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.