Tottenham round-up: Pochettino on West Ham test; Kane comments addressed; striker needs ‘more time’ to shine

Following Tottenham’s Carabao Cup-winning exploits in mid-week, the attentions of manager Mauricio Pochettino have firmly turned back to the Premier League ahead of Saturday’s vital derby clash.

The Lilywhites will take the short trip across the capital to the London Stadium to face up against West Ham, and the Spurs boss has insisted that there’s a score to settle after last season’s defeat.

Tottenham’s 1-0 loss at the Hammers last May all-but ended their chances of catching Premier League leaders – and eventual winners – Chelsea, and the Argentine said it’s time to gain some redemption.

Talking in his pre-match press conference, as quoted by BBC Sport (at 14:37), he said: “I think we were very frustrated and disappointed because we were fighting for the Premier League and it was a big disappointment to us. It is true it was not our best performance or best game.

“Now it is a different season, different circumstances and we are so excited and ready to go Saturday and will go there and fight to try and win the three points.”

The Remarkable Truth Behind This Viral Photograph

Pochettino also responded to some comments made by former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood this week, which claimed that star-striker Harry Kane may leave this summer if they fail to win a trophy.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Sherwood argued that the ‘outstanding’ striker could easily have his head turned by the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United should they come calling at the end of May.

The Spurs boss had a diplomatic stance on the subject though, saying (at 14:30): “I respect every single opinion. And of course, Tim [Sherwood] has the right to speak about Tottenham and Harry, of course.

“But that is a question more for Harry Kane, what he wants to do. And only the answer is Harry Kane has the power and the decision and the possibility to say what he wants to do in the future.”

Away from the press conference, deadline day arrival Fernando Llorente has pleaded with the Tottenham fans to give him time to settle in after an underwhelming full debut against Barnsley on Tuesday.

After being swiped from in front of the nose of Chelsea in a £12 million move, the 32-year-old is yet to have much of an impact during his two cameo substitute performances and his solitary cup start so far.

But he insisted that his time will come, and – as quoted by the Mirror – he said: “It is my first game of the season without pre-season and now I have to continue to work a lot.

“I need more time. This summer was hard because my arm meant a long stop. I have to work a lot. I don’t know how long. With minutes and confidence I think every match will be better.”

Llorente scored 15 goals last season as he helped inspire Swansea to Premier League survival, but after suffering a fracture to his arm at the end of the campaign he missed out their pre-season preparations.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

You may also like…