Tottenham: Midfielder faces ban; Lloris contract latest; Spurs must show more 'aggresion'
Tottenham’s £30 million summer signing Moussa Sissoko could be handed a retrospective three game ban after catching Harry Arter with an elbow in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Bournemouth. Referee Craig Pawson is believed to have missed the incident which allows the FA to act after the event. Had he seen the incident clearly, Pawson would surely have sent Sissoko off. His arm was clearly bent and if the referee’s official report does not account for the incident, the former Newcastle midfielder is unlikely to escape punishment. The draw leaves Spurs just a point behind Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City and given the good form of Bournemouth it was by no means a disastrous result. A report in The Daily Mirror today states:
“Moussa Sissoko is facing a three-game ban for elbowing Harry Arter .
“Tottenham midfielder Sissoko clashed with Arter late in their 0-0 draw at Bournemouth .
“Sub Sissoko appeared to lash out and catch Arter in the face as the pair contested a throw in.
“The French midfielder escaped punishment but referee Craig Pawson missed the incident opening the door for the FA to take retrospective action.
“They will await the official’s report and his version of events today before deciding whether to act.”
Maurcio Pochettino’s team had to rely on the reflexes of Hugo Lloris in the early stages of the game, but got stronger and stronger as the match wore on. Its is another clean sheet for Spurs, who have the best defensive record in the division, but if they are take the final step and win the title they must start scoring more goals. The imminent return of Harry Kane will be a major boost in this regard, but they have made heavy weather of straightforward opposition such as Sunderland and Crystal Palace. Breaking down deep-lying defences is something Pochettino’s side must get better at.
Elsewhere, Tottenham goalkeeper Lloris has said he is no rush to sing a new contract at White Hart Lane. The French international still has three and a half years remaining on his current deal, so the situation is not particularly urgent. Earlier in the season, it seemed as if a different Spurs player signed a contract every day with Eric Dier, Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen among those to put pen to paper. Daniel Levy has moved swiftly to tie down the club’s main assets ahead of their stadium move; a transition that can bring about difficulty and financial strain. Lloris has long been regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in Europe, but looks set to remain at Spurs.
Finally, Lloris has also been talking about Spurs’ need to show greater aggression and said he was unhappy with the draw at Bournemouth. Quoted in the Evening Standard today, Lloris said:
“I always say when you cannot win, you must not lose, but it’s three draws in a row now and we needed to score.
“Perhaps we need to be more aggressive in the last 30 yards, in our runs, in our passes. Look, it’s football and there are ups and downs.
“We had good control of the game apart from the first 10 or 15 minutes when they had a lot of pressure and had a good chance. It’s not enough because we have ambition, so we’re not happy with a point.”
Spurs face a trip to Anfield in the EFL Cup next time up before hosting the champions Leicester City at White Hart Lane on Saturday.
Featured image: All rights reserved by Kieran Clarke
You may also like…
- Glenn Hoddle thinks Spurs 21-year-old could thrive under Antonio Conte
- ‘Beautiful’: BBC pundit loved what Spurs 24-year-old did in 65th minute v Brentford
- Tottenham trio Kane, Son and Moura make you ‘suffer until the end’ – Brentford’s Fernandez
- 81 touches, 67 passes, 2 shots – £15m Spurs man will have wowed Conte with Brentford display