Tottenham man was ‘struggling’ last week, but he may have changed Antonio Conte's mind after Saturday’s game - TBR View
Spurs got back to winning ways on Saturday as they thrashed Leicester City 6-2 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
But it wasn’t just Son who could have caught Conte’s eye after making a substitute appearance.
Bissouma was brought on for Dejan Kulusevski in the 70th minute as Conte switched to a three-man midfield.
And Spurs looked solid after the introduction of Bissouma as the Mali international broke up play effectively.
Bissouma may have changed Conte’s mind
Conte’s side have got off to a brilliant start to the new season and remain unbeaten. But there have been concerns over Spurs being outnumbered in midfield.
Due to Conte favouring a 3-4-3 formation, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Rodrigo Bentancur have often been overrun in midfield.
But when Conte switched to a 3-5-2 on Saturday, Spurs looked compact and Son went on to bag a hat-trick while playing up-front with Harry Kane.
There’s no denying that Spurs have got off to an excellent start in terms of results, but some performances have been concerning due to a lack of control in midfield.
“The only player that is struggling a bit with the tactical aspect is Bissouma, but also he is improving a lot in every aspect,” Conte said.
“I am sure when we start again and play 12 games, for sure he is another player I can count on but I try to take the best decision for the player because I want to protect the player.
“At the same time I want to protect the team and everybody. For sure we know very well when we start again to play 12 games in one month, you have to be ready. You have to be ready because I need all my players.”
Since making the switch from Brighton this summer, Bissouma has started just one game, which came against West Ham United when Bentancur was sidelined.
But the Mali international looked far more assured on Saturday while playing in a midfield three.
And Tottenham seemed to have more control in the game with the extra man in midfield.
It’s easy to see why Conte favours a three-man attack with the wealth of attacking options he has at his disposal.
But Bissouma may have changed Conte’s mind about his readiness to start for Spurs after a promising cameo against the Foxes.
The former Brighton man could be the player to come into the Spurs midfield if Conte does decide to switch to a 3-5-2 in future matches.
You may also like…
- Antonio Conte says Bryan Gil could play for Tottenham on Tuesday
- Jenas shares his biggest problem with Harry Kane after Tottenham defeat
- ‘I’m not stupid’: Conte fires back at Tottenham fans, calls out two players for not being ready as well
- ‘We saw’: Frank Lampard makes claim about Emerson’s sending off in NLD after Everton’s match this weekend