'Superb': BBC pundit says Newcastle have an 'exceptionally talented player' who can play two different roles
BBC pundit Neil Lennon raved about Bruno Guimaraes after the Brazilian made his debut for Newcastle United against Everton in the Premier League last night.
The Magpies spent big in the January transfer window to boost their chances of survival. Guimaraes is undoubtedly their best signing and he got a small opportunity to show the fans what he’s all about yesterday.
Newcastle conceded in the 36th minute after Jamaal Lascelles put the ball in his own net. In the past, that would’ve affected their confidence and they would’ve crumbled. Things have changed now and it only took Eddie Howe’s men a few seconds to get back on level terms.
Goals from Ryan Fraser and Kieran Trippier in the second half sealed a very impressive win for the Magpies last night and they are now a step closer to safety than they were before the game.
Neil Lennon: Bruno Guimaraes can play two different roles for Newcastle
Guimaraes only came on in stoppage time and not a lot can be made of his one-minute cameo at St James’ Park yesterday.
Lennon, however, feels Newcastle have a real star in their squad now.
He told BBC Sport: “I have seen Bruno Guimaraes at Lyon. He is an exceptionally talented player.
“He can do either role – play as a holding or attacking midfielder. Technically superb and good football intelligence. I think the Geordies can be really excited about this player.”
- ‘I have run out of superlatives’: BBC pundit claims Newcastle star was utterly ‘breathtaking’ tonight
Guimaraes was only on the pitch for about a minute and didn’t have a lot to do. But, whatever he did, he did really well.
The Brazilian had six touches of the ball, maintained 100 per cent passing accuracy and successfully completed the one dribble he attempted. (SofaScore)
Eddie Howe will know better than anyone that he’ll need time to adapt to the Premier League, but once he does, he could become a top player for the Magpies for the better part of the next decade, if they can keep hold of him.
It will be interesting to see if Howe will give Guimaraes his first start when Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa come to town on Sunday.
- ‘Furious’: BT pundit spotted Newcastle player was fuming with Dele Alli in the very last minute tonight
You may also like…
- ‘That’s the gamble’: Sky Sports specialist says ‘fantastic’ player has put it all on the line by joining Tottenham
- Our View: Long-term Leeds target could now move to Elland Road after £14m agreement
- ‘We have communication’: Fabrizio Romano has just relayed some bad news for Arsenal and Chelsea fans
- Aston Villa & Tottenham officially miss out as 33-year-old target signs for Inter Milan