Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce has given the update that key player Allan Saint-Maximin may be available for the club’s next Premier League match.
The 23-year-old attacker was substituted off during the first-half over the weekend with an ankle problem, as the Magpies were comprehensively beaten 3-0 at St James’ Park by Brighton.
They will be looking to respond on Wednesday night when they travel to League Two Morecambe for the third round of the Carabao Cup.
Bruce has said that Saint-Maximin will be unavailable for the cup fixture, but claimed he “has a chance” of returning for Sunday’s trip to Tottenham in the league.
“Saint-Maximin has had a scan on his ankle and we don’t think it’s that bad. He won’t make tomorrow night but has a chance for Sunday,” Bruce said, as quoted by the club’s official Twitter account.
Saint-Maximin is yet to register a goal or assist in the opening two league games of the season, but there is no doubting he’s an integral part of the Newcastle XI and losing him for any significant length of time would be a problem.
The French left-winger is a speedster that is so difficult for opponents to stop when he bursts forward and creates so much space for his teammates in the final third.
There have been two contrasting performances so far this season by Newcastle in their league games, as they were brilliant in the opening day win over West Ham but fairly poor against Brighton.
Bruce’s team will need to be on top of their game against a Spurs side that hit five in their last match and having Saint-Maximin fit will be a big boost.