Follow us on



Sporting Kansas City and San Jose both qualify for the CCL Quarter Finals

Sporting Kansas City 0 Olimpia 0    23 October

The hosts gained the point they needed to qualify for the Quarter Final stages of the CONCACAF Champions League from Group 2 in their first go-around in this competition after this stalemate with Olimpa of Honduras. Twice the home side thought they had broken the deadlock, but on both occasions they were denied by an assistant referee’s flag. 9 minutes before the break Teal Bunbury put a low shot past Noel Valladares in the visitors goal, but he was adjudged to have been in an offside position when Seth Sinovic headed the ball into him. Then 9 minutes into the second-half Graham Zusi got the ball in the net through bodies in the penalty area, but again the goal was chalked-off. Twice late on Sporting had good opportunities to gain the victory. With 20 minutes remaining Bunbury got his head to a cross form Uri Rosell, but Valladares handled it easily and in stoppage time Dom Dwyer, who had came on for Bunbury after 79 minutes, got free on a one-on-one breakaway but again the keeper came to his sides rescue. The visitors finish their campaign in second place in the standings a point behind Sporting.

San Jose Earthquakes 1 Heredia 0

After starting the night in the basement spot in Group 5 the Earthquakes qualified for the knock-out stages of the CCL at their first attempt on goal-difference. Chris Wondolowski got the all important strike after 62 minutes. A cross from the right side from Steven Beitashour went untouched through the penalty area and found Shea Salinas on the opposite side of the field, he slid the ball to Wondolowski who was in lots of space and dispatched a right-footed volley passed Jose Calderon in the visitors goal. The away team had two chances to level it. The first came after 71 minutes. Defender Henry Medina who was up from the back for a corner managed to get to the ball first but his effort hit off the near post and went to safety. The last fright the Earthquakes had was 4 minutes form time. Charles Córdoba slid in to turn the ball home from a cross from Anderson Andrade, but to the relief of everyone connected with the home side it was ruled out by an assistant referee’s flag for offside. The gloss was taken off the success sightly when Clarence Goodson was dismissed 4 minutes into stoppage time for time-wasting, but the Earthquakes manage to see the game out. The loss for the Guatemalan side meant they ended their first involvement in the CCL at the foot of the standings.