Sky journalist says Newcastle could be ready to sell ‘unplayable’ star with Tottenham keen
Antonio Conte is on the lookout for attacking reinforcements after his front-three have struggled with injuries so far this season.
Both Dejan Kulusevski and Richarlison returned to action as Spurs lost to Arsenal on Sunday. But Conte has been left short in recent weeks and been forced to play youngster Bryan Gil in the duo’s absence.
Spurs were linked with a possible move for Saint-Maximin over the summer and Alasdair Gold claimed just last week that Fabio Paratici remains a huge admirer of the 25-year-old.
Now, it seems Newcastle could be willing to sell the winger as they aim to re-shape Eddie Howe’s squad.
Newcastle could be ready to sell Saint-Maximin
Speaking to GiveMeSport, Downie claims it’s possible that Saint-Maximin could end up leaving Newcastle this month.
“If Saint-Maximin goes – and I think there’s a possibility of that – and they manage to get some money for him, I think they could go out and buy someone,” the Sky reporter said.
Saint-Maximin has only managed to start three games under Howe this season and has fallen down the pecking order since picking up a hamstring injury back in August.
Newcastle have performed exceptionally well in his absence and he now faces a tough task to try and force his way back into Howe’s starting line-up.
The winger has been described as an ‘unplayable’ talent due to his pace and power on the ball.
Spurs are certainly lacking a player like Saint-Maximin in their squad and if Newcastle are indeed open to letting him leave this month, he could be a brilliant addition to Conte’s side.
But it would be a huge risk for the Magpies to sell the Frenchman without securing a replacement, especially with doubts over Callum Wilson’s injury record and Alexander Isak only just returning from a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
You may also like…
- Sky Sports man praises ‘outstanding’ Anthony Gordon on Newcastle debut
- Newcastle Transfer News: Howe now wants to beat Tottenham to Manuel Ugarte signing
- Bruno Guimaraes reacts to Anthony Gordon’s debut for Newcastle United
- Alan Shearer says £27m Arsenal player has been better than 23-year-old Newcastle star this season