Connect with us

Everton

After Ronaldo arrival, could Everton look to Gonzalo Higuain for marquee signing?

Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival could see the Argentine leave Turin.

Max Cohen

Published

on

Gonzalo Higuain
Photo: Getty Images

On Tuesday, Cristiano Ronaldo shocked the footballing world and completed his move to Juventus from European champions Real Madrid. And the arrival of the Portuguese superstar in Turin means Gonzalo Higuain could be on his way out, according to the Football.London.

Everton should strongly consider making a sensational swoop for the Argentine international, an internationally-renowned center-forward who could help spearhead Marco Silva and Marcel Brands’ revolution at the club.

Higuain has a glittering scoring record, with over 400 carer goals to his name, and is lauded for his great eye for goal and predatory instinct.

He has excelled in La Liga for Real Madrid, in Serie A for both Napoli and Juventus, and has also has done superbly when playing in European competitions.

(Photo by Marco Bertorello/Getty Images)

Everton have been on the search for an elite center-forward since the departure of Romelu Lukaku, and many supporters thought Cenk Tosun might have finally filled that void when he joined from Besiktas in January.

Yet, despite his decent start, scoring five goals in 14 league appearances, if Everton truly want to return to Europe they must aim higher.

There is no doubting that such a move would come as a complete shock for the Merseyside club, and given the Toffees’ recent struggles, Higuain might be reluctant to make the surprising move.


“‘Pipa’ is a phenomenon. He’s an animal in the penalty box. You don’t want anyone else with the ball at their feet in the penalty box: he will score.”

Leonardo Bonucci, Higuain’s former Juventus teammate.


But for a player who has won Serie A and La Liga crowns, perhaps the allure of a move to the Premier League might appeal to him.

Just as Ronaldo chose a late-career challenge when moving to Juventus, his ex-teammate Higuain might opt for a similar challenge when making the switch to a historic club in the world’s best domestic league.

A big-money signing of a player of the Argentine’s pedigree would send a clear message to the rest of the league that Everton are back and in contention for European places.

And with a new manager and director of football eager to make their mark at Goodison, a marquee transfer like Gonzalo Higuain would be the ideal announcement to return Everton to past glories.

Max is a journalist studying at the University of Pennsylvania. Max specialises in English football and co-hosts a weekly podcast. He is also a politics reporter and deputy news editor for The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Everton

Everton round-up: Silva targets, Lopez wanted and Shaw says no

All the latest news and gossip from Everton.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Silva’s targets

Marco Silva has identified his transfer targets for the summer with director of football Marcel Brands. He has told the Liverpool Echo that the club are now pursuing the names put forward.

The Portuguese says Everton ‘have’ to make the signings they have targeted.

Everton are also set to begin their cull of the first-team squad. Several players are set to be moved on as Silva and Brands reshape the squad.

(Photo credit should read JOSEP LAGO/AFP/Getty Images)

Lopez wanted

Everton are reportedly interested in the signing of David Lopez from Espanyol. Mundo Deportivo claim that Everton, Valencia and Real Betis are all said to be keen on the player.

However, Everton are not willing to meet the €40 million (£35.4 million) release clause for the player. Instead, they hope to wait and see if it comes down to around €30 million (£26.5 million).

The Spanish defender, who can also play in midfield, was previously linked with Everton back in January.

Shaw not sure

Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has rejected a move to Everton, according to The Times. They claim he had a chance to resurrect his career at Goodison Park but decided he wants to remain at Old Trafford and fight for his place at the club.

He has struggled to regain his place in Jose Mourinho’s side since suffering an awful leg break.

Everton are looking for a new left-back, with Leighton Baines approaching the end of his career and no first-team back-up.

Continue Reading

Everton

After five-goal salvo can Everton count on Kevin Mirallas this season?

Kevin Mirallas scored five goals as Everton won 22-0 in Marco Silva’s first game.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Marco Silva certainly enjoyed his first game as manager of Everton. The Portuguese watched his new side secure a 22-0 win against fourth-division Austrian opposition in rampant fashion. He also saw a player who looked on his way out of the club net five goals. Kevin Mirallas led the scoring charts in the game and his future is clearly a talking point at Goodison Park.

The Belgian spent the second half of last season on loan at former club Olympiakos. But it did not go well. He was eventually told to no longer attend training as the club’s owner decided to move him and many others on amid the Greek side’s struggles.

Things did not end well at Everton before the loan move either. Mirallas’ last game was the 4-1 loss to Southampton in November, one of the low points of Everton’s season.

Mirallas however, as Everton fans know, is an exceptional talent. He was only handed a new contract until 2020 last summer, so he has value to Everton.

(xxxx during the Premier League match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Everton at Amex Stadium on October 15, 2017 in Brighton, England.

On his day he is an exceptional winger or secondary striker. His finishing exemplary, his passing and crossing brilliant, Mirallas is a player Everton could use.

With others in his position, such as Ademola Lookman and Kieran Dowell, young and promising, having the experienced Mirallas around could make sense.

Scoring five goals in yesterday’s friendly won’t have any bearing on such a decision, given the opposition. But it is a reminder that Mirallas is still around and capable of providing something to this Everton team.

Continue Reading

Everton

Everton want Jamaal Lascelles again, four years after being fined for approach

Everton were fined £45k for an approach for Lascelles in 2010.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Everton are currently being linked with a move for Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles. At the start of June, Everton were first linked with a £30 million move for the player. The Northern Echo reported last week  that Everton were ready to step up their interest in the player, in the wake of West Ham’s apparent interest.

It would, of course, be a fantastic signing. Everton need a new central defender with Barcelona’s World Cup star Yerry Mina also linked.

But Lascelles has been one of the Premier League’s most underrated defenders and it would be a brilliant swoop.

Newcastle, however, are adamant the player is not for sale. Everton should, therefore, be careful because when it comes to Lascelles, they have previous.

(Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)

Back in January 2014, Everton were fined £45,000, as reported by the BBC. The fine was due to an unauthorised approach for a player. The player in question was Lascelles.

The fine related to a matter from four years earlier. Everton had seemingly made an approach for Lascelles, then on a scholarship deal at Forest, without going through the proper channels.

Lascelles’ agent at the time was also fined and the player himself was ‘severely warned as to his future conduct.’

So Everton’s interest in Lascelles dates back eight years to the David Moyes era.

Hopefully, for Everton fans at least, they can secure a deal for the player on this occasion.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.