Report: Spurs readying fresh bid for 'unbelievable' player they were £3m away from buying in January
Tottenham Hotspur are readying a summer bid for Djed Spence if Nottingham Forest fail to reach the Premier League, according to football.london.
Spurs were reportedly close to landing the 21-year-old – who is on Middlesbrough’s books – in the January transfer window.
According to ESPN, Tottenham had two bids rejected by Boro for Spence in the latter stages of that window.
Both of those offers seemingly fell ‘considerably’ below his parent club’s £15million valuation.
And 90Min claimed Spurs bid £12million plus add-ons, but Boro snubbed their offer.
Tottenham reportedly predicted that a queue would form for Spence in summer. They hoped to seal a deal before this happened.
Ultimately, Spurs fell £3million short, and now they may live to regret not upping their offer.
Spence has been sensational for Forest this season, helping Steve Cooper’s side reach the Championship playoff final.
On Sunday 29 May, the Reds will take on Huddersfield at Wembley, with a place in the Premier League at stake.
Spence’s contract at Boro runs until 2024. But if Forest reach the top flight, they’ll have the pull and the means to try and sign him permanently.
Spence announced himself to a nationwide audience earlier this year when he helped knock Arsenal out of the FA Cup.
Ian Wright labelled his display against the Gunners ‘unbelievable‘.
Spence looks a cut above in the Championship. He’s pretty much guaranteed to be a Premier League player next term.
Whether that’s with Spurs, Forest or another team remains to be seen, though.
You may also like…
- Journalist says Tottenham are prioritising Raphinha over Richarlison
- Journalist says Arsenal have pulled plug on move for Youri Tielemans
- Report: ‘Incredible’ free-agent Tottenham and Ten Hag want is considering offers from Newcastle and Lampard
- Stan Collymore wants Liverpool to sign Raphinha ahead of Arsenal