Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Luke Amos is reportedly on the verge of a permanent move away from Spurs, according to talkSPORT.
The 23-year-old, who came through the ranks at Tottenham, spent the 2019-20 season on loan at Queens Park Rangers.
He impressed in his 34 Championship appearances, earning plaudits from QPR director of football Les Ferdinand and forging a close working relationship with manager Mark Warburton.
“He’s added goals to his game, we know what he’s capable of as he’s a good midfield player, he gets up and down, he’s got good energy and we’re seeing it,” Ferdinand told Football London in February.
According to talkSPORT, Warburton has identified Amos as one of his primary targets in this transfer window, with Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock also expressing an interest in the player.
The outlet has also claimed that Spurs and QPR are finalising a deal, with the North Londoners likely to receive a “nominal fee “for Amos, whose current contract expires next summer.
A report from the Northern Echo earlier on Friday also reported Boro interest in Amos, adding that Jose Mourinho does not envisage him featuring with the first team and instructing the club hierarchy to move him on.
Amos has made one senior competitive appearance for Spurs, a substitute showing against Newcastle in the opening game of the 2018-19 season, with a serious knee injury sadly sidelining him just a few months later.
Mauricio Pochettino rated him highly, telling ESPN in August 2018: “Football is about energy, about desire, about respect for yourself and your teammates, being professional. Of course, Luke Amos is a good example. He played three (International Champions Cup) games of 90 minutes.
“He’s not so young – 21 – but maybe he doesn’t have Premier League experience. But his performances in the three games showed it’s not a problem to put him in to play. Maybe he’s going to play ahead of some senior players. I’m more than brave and if I believe in some players I go with all the consequences.”
Amos appeared on the verge of breaking into Pochettino’s first-team two years ago but sadly his ACL injury ended up sidelining him for the entire campaign, though he has bounced back with a good spell at QPR.
The former outlet has also talked of a six-figure fee, while talkSPORT has mentioned a “nominal fee” – it seems quite low for a young, talented English player who has done well at second-tier level.
That said, perhaps with his contract running out next year, Tottenham mightn’t have much leverage in terms of asking more.