Report: Newcastle will not sign Cristiano Ronaldo after contact's made
Newcastle United will not sign Cristiano Ronaldo after being approached by his representatives about a move in the last few days, according to a report from 90min.
Ronaldo is now a free agent. Manchester United confirmed on Tuesday that his contract had been terminated by mutual consent. Of course, it was the outcome that most expected following his public criticism of many involved with the club.
The problem facing the Portuguese now is that there are not going to be too many sides who both want Ronaldo and can afford to make him the kind of offer he is looking for.
Newcastle will not sign Ronaldo
Certainly, the Magpies are one side who could fund a move for the 37-year-old. So it is no surprise that they appear to have been contacted about a possible deal.
According to 90min, Ronaldo’s representatives reached out to Newcastle in recent days to enquire as to whether they would be keen to take him at St James’ Park.
However, Newcastle have decided that they will not offer Ronaldo a contract. So it would appear that one of his potential options has closed the door on making a move.
Newcastle have surely made exactly the right decision with their stance on Ronaldo.
Of course, he is a remarkable footballer. You really cannot argue strongly with anyone who believes that he is the greatest of all-time.
However, Eddie Howe is building something special on Tyneside. And he is doing it without the superstars who looked destined to join when the takeover initially happened.
Ronaldo still has a lot to offer. His performances have been described as ‘exceptional‘ given his age. But Manchester United were a better side without him by the time he threw his toys out of the pram.
And Newcastle do not need to take the gamble of adding Ronaldo to their ranks when everything appears to be going so well right now.
You may also like…
- ‘He’s going mad’: Conor Coady now says £40m Newcastle target is terrible at heading
- Report: Newcastle United prepare major bid to sign ‘excellent’ 27-year-old who Antonio Conte wants at Tottenham
- ‘He played well’: Marcus Rashford impressed by £30m reported Newcastle target’s display at the World Cup
- ‘Hugely impressed’: Leon Osman now says £35m Newcastle man has stood out as much as Erling Haaland