Report: Newcastle discussing making January move for 26-year-old Liverpool star
Newcastle United could make a move to take Divock Origi on loan from Liverpool during the January transfer window, according to a report from The Northern Echo.
It is becoming clear just how pivotal the winter is going to be for Eddie Howe and the Magpies.
Despite producing an encouraging display at the weekend, the 3-3 draw with Brentford saw Newcastle fall to bottom in the Premier League table. They are still awaiting their first win.
The club have funds to spend however. And with that, a host of names are coming onto the radar heading into January.
According to The Northern Echo, one of their loan targets could be Origi as they look to provide more support for Callum Wilson.
Liverpool may be uneasy about letting Origi leave in January amid Newcastle interest
Origi has only made two substitute appearances for Jurgen Klopp’s side in the top flight this season. So you would imagine that he would be open to the possibility of leaving Anfield in some capacity.
Having said that, it is hard to imagine the Reds wanting him to go. He had been a regular on the bench in the weeks leading up to the international break.
And with Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane away on international duty in the new year, Klopp will be wary of letting any of his other attacking players leave.
For that reason, a loan move is a little harder to imagine. But it would potentially be a coup for Newcastle to bring him to Tyneside for the second-half of the season.
Origi has scored some very important goals during his time with the Reds. And the Magpies know from last year just how influential January loan signings can be.
You may also like…
- Tottenham send out three word reaction on Twitter just minutes after Arsenal’s loss tonight
- Jamie O’Hara uses one word to mock Arsenal as they lose out at Newcastle tonight
- Carragher doesn’t expect Salah or van Dijk to play for Liverpool tomorrow
- Carragher says Spurs target Pickford not brave enough on Sunday