Follow us on



Real Salt Lake and Portland advance to the MLS Western Conference Final

Real Salt Lake 2 LA Galaxy 0 AET (2-1 Agg) 7 November

Real Salt Lake overturned their 1-0 1st Leg deficit to advance to the Western Conference Final. The hosts drew level on aggregate 10 minutes before the interval. Chris Wingert sent in a cross from the left and Sebastian Velasquez was on hand to head it home past goalkeeper Jaime Penedo for his first professional tally. The home side had a couple of chances to win it in regulation time but they were denied by the woodwork. Firstly with 15 minutes remaining when a Chris Schuler header cannoned off the crossbar and 3 minutes later when a shot from Alvaro Saborio struck a post. Javier Morales also thought he had scored the winner when his forty yard free kick evaded everyone and went straight into the net, but referee Baldomero Toledo had spotted a foul by Schuler for tugging on the jersey of Omar Gonzalez. Extra-time ensued and despite playing a large part of it with only ten-men after Saborio had to leave the field injured and they had used all of their substitutes Real claimed the decisive goal. Morales sent in another free-kick and Schuler met it and dispatched into the goal to send his side through.

Portland Timbers 3 Seattle Sounders 2 (5-3 agg)

The Timbers held off a late Seattle rally to book their place in Western Conference Final. The hosts extended their aggregate lead after 29 minutes. Djimi Traore was adjudged to have handled the ball and Will Johnson converted the spot kick. 1 minute before half-time they doubled their advantage. Rodney Wallace centred a ball and Diego Valeri turned it into the net. 2 minutes into the second stanza and the home side must of being expecting a stress free night as they got their third. Wallace again provided the cross and this time it was Mamadou Danso who added the final touch. With 16 minutes left Seattle pulled one back. DeAndre Yedlin collected a throw in and advanced the ball forward before finishing past goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts. 2 minutes later and the aggregate lead for the Timbers was down to two. Eddie Johnson getting on the end of a Yedlin corner. That however was as close as they manage to get as Portland saw out the remaining time.