Reading 2012/13 Season Preview
We take a look at Reading’s prospects leading up to the new Premier League season.
Manager: Brian McDermott
Stadium: Madejski Stadium – 24,161
Nickname: The Royals
2011/12 League Position: Championship Winners
Adrian Mariappa – Watford – £3m
Chris Gunter – Nottingham Forest – £2.5m
Danny Guthrie – Newcastle – Free
Garath McCleary – – Nottingham Forest – Free
Pavel Pogrebnyak – Fulham – Free
Nicky Shorey – West Brom – Free
Adam Federici – The Australian keeper has always been seen as a hot prospect, but proved his star quality last season.
Kaspars Gorkss – The centre back joined Reading from QPR at the start of last season, meaning the club hardly missed Matt Mills. Consistent, reliable, but unproven at this level, this season will be a chance for Gorkss to prove himself.
Jimmy Kebe – Kebe’s a speedy winger who loves running with the ball and taking on defenders. He’ll be a big goal threat for Reading this year.
- Royals boss Brian McCdermott likes to stick with his tried and trusted 4-4-2 formation.
- Kebe and McAnuff love getting down the line, so Leigertwood and Guthrie will have to sit in midfield.
- Russia hitman Pogrebnyak will be used as target man alongside Hunt or Roberts.
August 18th Stoke (H), 22nd Chelsea (A), 25th Sunderland (A), September 16th Tottenham (H), 22nd West Brom (A), 29th Newcastle (H)
Reading fans will be buzzing ahead of their return to England’s top division. Brian McDermott already had a pretty decent squad which he has now improved with good quality signings.
Having said this, the players don’t really stand out as Premier League players. They have a great manager and plenty of cash to spend, but I think they’ll struggle somewhat against the other, already established, Premier League sides. 18th
You may also like…
- Birmingham, Forest gems in 11 youngest Championship 2021/22 players
- Reading XI if they kept their best players including Michael Olise and Omar Richards
- Andy Wilcox claims West Brom goalkeeper Josh Griffiths wants Cheltenham return after loan transfer
- West Brom ironing out final details of Chris Wilder contract to replace Sam Allardyce