'One of the worst I've seen': Paul Merson stunned by Liverpool decision
Paul Merson has criticised Liverpool for selling Sadio Mane this summer.
The pundit, writing on Sportskeeda, thinks it was “one of the worst” decisions he’s seen in recent years.
Mane left Liverpool to join Bayern Munich in a £35million deal in June.
The Senegal international became an Anfield legend thanks to his efforts in helping the club win six trophies.
Mane had just one year left on his Liverpool contract before joining the Bundesliga giants in a bargain deal.
This season, Liverpool have looked a shadow of their former selves.
The Reds have won just two of their six Premier League games so far.
And in midweek, Liverpool fell to a humbling 4-1 defeat at Napoli in the Champions League.
Prior to the Premier League’s postponement, Merson shared his results predictions on Sportskeeda.
And while discussing Liverpool v Wolves, he commented on Mane’s departure.
“Mohamed Salah is still Liverpool’s main man,” he wrote. “But I’m worried about his form a little bit.
“Sadio Mane and Salah always played well alongside each other and pushed each on, they were like Starsky and Hutch!
“Mane’s sale was one of the worst I’ve seen in recent years, I’ll never get tired of saying this.”
“I need a new challenge in my life”
Admittedly, Liverpool didn’t really have much of a choice regarding Mane’s future.
The 30-year-old recently told BBC Sport Africa that he decided he wanted a new challenge a year ago.
“It was last year I took my decision to leave because I need a new challenge in my life,” Mane said after winning the African Footballer of the Year Award on Thursday.
“For me, it was the right time. I spoke with the coach one year ago and talked to him about my desire to leave.
“If you see my story, I came from a small town – my life was always a challenge, so I want to challenge myself all the time.”
And with one year left on his contract, Liverpool had to cash in, or risk losing him for little to nothing in 2023.
You may also like…
- Report: Newcastle United duo hope to be back in time for Fulham game, £20m player has trained without ‘any issues’
- ‘Picks himself’: Rio Ferdinand now believes that ‘brilliant’ Everton man is guaranteed to start at the World Cup
- Fowler disappointed to see Gabriel criticised after Arsenal win
- ‘For me’: TalkSPORT pundit says ‘amazing’ Arsenal player was a better summer signing than Erling Haaland