Mauricio Pochettino has told his pre-Everton press conference – as quoted by Football London – as stating that he is “not happy” that new Tottenham signing Giovani Lo Celso has been called up to represent Argentina later this month.
The 23-year-old finally signed for Tottenham in the summer after months of rumours over the player’s future. He is currently on loan from Real Betis, while Spurs have a big-money option to purchase the attacking midfielder at the end of the season.
Viewed as Christian Eriksen’s long-term successor, it has been a difficult start for the ex-Paris Saint Germain star. Indeed, constant injuries and setbacks have limited Lo Celso to just five substitute appearances so far.
Despite this, Argentina have called up the now-fit-again Lo Celso to take on Brazil and Uruguay on November 15 and November 18 respectively. Pochettino was asked about it in his latest press conference, and the Spurs gaffer is not impressed.
“Being honest I am not happy, but I accept as I always defend the national team and back the decision of national team as I was a player and know what it feels to play. I can do nothing, only to show and describe my feeling,” Pochettino said.
TBR’s view – Poch must see the positives of Lo Celso call-up
Yes, it is easy to see Lo Celso’s call-up as frustrating given his apparent proneness to injury at the start of this campaign. But thinking negatively will not change the fact that Lo Celso will play against Brazil and Argentina in a fortnight’s time.
Instead, Pochettino must look at the call-up and see it as good news. It is the chance for Lo Celso to get more game time under his belt and restore his confidence in the colours of the national team.
If Lo Celso gets game time and returns to Spurs injury free, then Pochettino will surely see the benefit.