Connect with us

Newcastle United round-up: Striker deal done; Benitez hoping for two more signings

Photo: Getty Images

English Premier League

Newcastle United round-up: Striker deal done; Benitez hoping for two more signings

A selection of news and gossip from Newcastle United.

Rondon-Gayle swap done

Newcastle had already strengthened their options in the final third this summer with the capture of Yoshinori Muto but the Magpies have now made further additions having closed in on the services of West Brom’s Salomon Rondon.

Today, a switch taking Rondon to the Premier League side went ahead, with Dwight Gayle holding successful talks ahead of his loan move to the Baggies. The saga has dragged on throughout the transfer window but it has now reached a conclusion with both teams seemingly benefiting as a result.

Bonus dispute

It would not be a new season for Newcastle without some sort of controversy and it is taking place behind the scenes once again as TalkSport are amongst many to identify the club’s ongoing row between the players and club bosses.

(Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)

The issue stems around bonus packages for the forthcoming season, with the proposal offered by the club deemed to not be good enough and the players have now decided to neglect to do their media duties until the problem is resolved.

That was witnessed after the 1-0 friendly defeat to Augsburg where players declined to stop in the mixed zone for interviews. If this continues, the club could face financial punishment.

N’Soki hopes

Newcastle have their eyes set on Paris Saint-Germain’s young full-back Stanley N’Soki, who has made just one Ligue 1 appearance for the French champions but impressed in Saturday’s Trophee des Champions victory over Monaco.

 

The Chronicle says Benitez’s side are hopeful of concluding a deal to bring the young full-back to the Premier League after turning their attentions away from Ajax’s Nicolas Tagliafico, who has proven to be too costly.

“We’re trying to improve the squad as we said before but we don’t know if we can do it or not. So it’s just carry on working and try to our best before August 9. Then after we have to do our best on the pitch.”

– Benitez discusses the clubs hope for the window’s final weeks.

Firm Maia proposal

With Mikel Merino having departed and Isaac Hayden handing in a transfer request, although it seems he will remain at the club, Newcastle are keen to land a holding midfielder before their opening match against Tottenham on Saturday.

French outlet Le 10 Sport states the Magpies have made a ‘firm proposal’ to sign Thiago Maia from Lille, with the Ligue 1 side possibly being forced to cash in on the Olympic gold medal winner due to financial difficulties.

However, the report should be taken with a large pinch of salt as it is stated Newcastle have placed a bid of £17.6m on the table – with does not seem likely given the limited finances Benitez has to work with.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

More in English Premier League

Popular

To Top