Newcastle: New striker targeted; Shearer talks promotion; City game to break record
Rafa Benitez’s pursuit of a striker to bolster his attacking options could come in the form of FC Utrecht’s Sebastien Haller.
The French youth international has scored twice in two games at club level already this season, prompting the Magpies to enquire over his availability.
Haller has attracted interest from Everton and Tottenham and is already in talks to join Portuguese side Sporting, but according to L’Equipe via Chronicle Live, Benitez is desperate to sign the target man.
Haller could be one of the four new signings Benitez predicted recently.
Crystal Palace, Southampton and Swansea have already all been linked with a move for the in demand 22-year-old, but have failed to build upon that interest.
According to Dutch publication Voetbal International, Utrecht could demand up to £7 million for the striker.
In an interview with Coral, Newcastle legend Alan Shearer has claimed the club “need to get promoted at the first time of asking.”
Shearer claimed that with a manager of Benitez’s quality, they’ll be aiming to get promoted “in some style.”
“He’s a very successful manager, very experienced,” said the Premier League’s all-time top scorer. “He’s made some good signings. For a guy who has won as many trophies as he has, he’ll want to get them up as soon as possible.
The 46-year-old’s own stint managing the club wasn’t nearly as successful, but he remains one of the Magpies most fond characters.
He also emphasised the need for a new striker, saying that the current players “looked a bit lightweight in a very physical league” in the loss against Fulham last week.
Newcastle are still 11/4 favourites to win the Championship this season despite losing their first two games, but looked a resurgent force against Reading earlier this week.
The Magpies will look to push on and claim more points away to Bristol City this weekend.
Newcastle’s visit to the South West is looking positive for both sides, with Ashton Gate set to record its biggest ever crowd on Saturday, according to the Bristol Post.
Sales have shot past the 20,000 mark, which has only happened nine times since 1990 in what is sure to be a blockbuster for the South West side.
With the new expansion to the ground, ticket sales could reach a historic high.
Lee Johnson’s side have started strongly with two victories out of three, but Benitez’s side will be looking to put an end to their good start and push on to better form themselves.
Featured image: All rights reserved by Andreko Wynter
You may also like…
- Sky reporter shares major Diego Carlos update live on air
- Report: Newcastle will have to make 30-year-old their second most expensive signing ever if they’re to get him to SJP
- Crook says Newcastle have now agreed personal terms with 27-year-old
- ‘I worry about him’: Journalist says defender Newcastle reportedly want to sign makes so many ‘mistakes’