Newcastle 2012/13 Season Preview
We take a look at Newcastle’s prospects leading up to the new Premier League season.
Manager: Alan Pardew
Stadium: Sports Direct Arena – 52,409
Nickname: The Magpies
2011/12 League Position: 5th
Gael Bigirimana – Coventry – £1m
Curtis Good – Melbourne Heart – Undisclosed
Romain Amalfitano – Reims – Free
Papiss Cisse – All eyes will be on Cisse after he netted 13 goals in 13 league starts during the second half of the 2011/12 season.
Fabricio Coloccini – The centre back made the PFA Team of the Year last season, he’ll look to build on his performances this season.
Hatem Ben Arfa – Ben Arfa is Newcastle’s creative midfielder, he can dribble past countless defenders creating goals and winning games all by himself.
- Pardew could play the 4-2-3-1 formation he used at the end of last season.
- Steven Taylor is back from injury and should partner Coloccini in central defence.
- Cabaye pulls the strings in midfield, while Ben Arfa will supply Cisse with assists.
August 18th Tottenham (H), 25th Chelsea (A), September 2nd Aston Villa (H), 17th Everton (A), 22nd Norwich (H), 29th Reading (A)
The Newcastle fans will be expecting big things from the squad after their fifth place finish last season. They’ve been quiet in the transfer market so far, but importantly they’ve managed to keep hold of their best players and Pardew knows his stars can only improve.
The Magpies have a very strong foundation but I think a few new signings will need to be made if the club are aiming to finish above Chelsea and Liverpool again this season. 6th
You may also like…
- Report: Newcastle set to walk away from James Maddison deal as Leicester are demanding too much money
- ‘Newcastle, on it’: Romano claims Magpies now in talks with ‘incredibly prolific’ forward
- Report: Manchester City now want to sign 24-year-old, just weeks after Newcastle made £21m bid for him
- Report: ‘Incredible’ Tottenham player’s agent has just told PL club that they can sign him this summer