Neil Warnock says he'd pick Newcastle United star Dan Burn for the England squad
The 30-year-old joined the Magpies from Brighton and Hove Albion for £13 million in January (Sky Sports). He played 16 times for Eddie Howe’s side and helped them avoid the drop last season.
- Neil Warnock says Newcastle player is ‘easily’ one of the best in the Premier League in his position now
Neil Warnock says he’d pick Newcastle star Dan Burn for the England squad
SportBible made Warnock the England boss for the day on Football Manager, and the 73-year-old was asked to pick his team for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar in November.
The Englishman, to everyone’s surprise, named Burn in his starting lineup.
He said: “I don’t think Gareth will pick him but Dan Burn would be in my squad.
“I think a naturally left-footed player is worth his weight in gold. And I just love his attitude. He’s a talker as well. He’s my kind of player.”
Dan Burn is a quality defender – there’s no doubt about that. But, we’re pretty certain that he will not make the England squad for the World Cup this year.
The 30-year-old was good for Newcastle in the second half of last campaign. He deserves immense credit for his performances, but unfortunately for him, it’s unlikely he’ll play too many games this season.
Newcastle have spent big money to bring in Sven Botman from Lille. The Dutchman will be a guaranteed starter in that left-centre-half role, which means Burn will have to settle for a spot on the bench more often than not.
Newcastle take on Nottingham Forest this afternoon, and it will be interesting to see if Burn will get any game time at all.
You may also like…
- ‘He had a different opinion’: Thomas Tuchel takes aim at Antonio Conte for what he did during FT handshake
- ‘Unbelievable’: Jamie Carragher far from impressed with Tottenham’s defending vs Chelsea in the first-half today
- Video: What Yves Bissouma did at full-time as Tottenham drew with Chelsea
- Clubs have looked at ‘extraordinary’ West Ham United target, but scouts are unsure he can make it in PL – journalist